August 2011 Moms

Baby Bjorn vs. Moby Wrap

My first instinct is to go with the Moby Wrap.. but I can see the physical wrapping of the fabric being time consuming.. however I am not one to have straps and clips hanging from me.

What is your opinion of the two? Previous moms which one did you use? Let me hear the good and the bad for both.

TIA! 

Married: 3/01/08
Baby Girl: 7/29/11
Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!

Re: Baby Bjorn vs. Moby Wrap

•  I haven't heard bad things about the Moby- people seem to love it once you figure out the tying, but I just don't think I'm a 'wrap' girl. 

That said, I HAVE heard that the BabyBjorn is hard on your back- not nearly as comfy! Have you checked out the Ergo or Becco? I've heard those tend to be a lot more comfortable. 

* Of course, this is just from my research- 1st timer here! :) 

• they're two totally different style carriers. But the moby is going to be better for your back and for your LO's back and hips (bjorns are HORRIBLE for babies spines and hips). 

I love my ergo, but I also love my wraps. I'm planning on getting one of the UV mobys for this baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DO NOT get a Baby Bjorn. Its hard on your back and is not good for baby's spine. If you want a structured carrier, go with an Ergo or a Becco.

I loved my wrap when DD2 was small. The wrapping doesn't take much time once you're used to it.

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • If you want a backpack/ straps carrier I suggest an Ergo. I had a Moby that I used with my son and it was super comfortable to wear. On the Moby website is says you can use it for babies until they are 35 lbs my son is 30 lbs and I haven't used it since he was alot smaller. It was tricky to wrap the first couple of times but it wasn't that hard to get the hang of.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • The bjorn is so hard on your back and isn't good for a baby's spine and hips. That being said, I'm not much for wrapping in the summer. I have a Babyhawk mei tei and I'm planning on getting a ring sling since they are easy to BF in and are more lightweight.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the bjorn with DD and it was ok, but not great. Ditto to PP's comments.

This time around I'm hoping to get the Ergo. I also had the Baby K'tan wrap which is similar to the Moby but I could just not figure out the whole wrapping thing and DD never seemed comfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• A friend of mine swears by her Moby wrap. She used it all of the time when her daughters were little. We make fun of her because she is a walking Moby infomercial. She gives the wraps as baby shower gifts to all of our friends so I know I'll get one for our baby and am so excited. After the showers she always holds a demonstration session which is hillarious. She said he hubby learned how to use the Moby by watching YouTube demonstrations and picked it up quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • i actually prefer the sleepy wrap over the moby (the moby is 100% cotton and stretches out quite a bit and requires adjusting often, the sleepy wrap has some spandex in it, so it has some give). i wouldn't recommend the bjorn at all, and would recommend a beco or ergo like pp's have said. you also could look into a ring sling for the first few months, i have a lot of friends who really like their slings. i have an ergo and love it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I personally hated the moby. I have a bjorn and do like it...but in all honesty I've only used it a handful of times in airports and such. DD never liked it much so it didn't get much use. I kind of feel like it was a waste of money.
  • Thanks ladies. I appreciate all of the input! I'm hoping to be able to try out the slings/carriers BRU has in store.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • imagekjuryfl:
    Thanks ladies. I appreciate all of the input! I'm hoping to be able to try out the slings/carriers BRU has in store.

don't go to BRU. Find a baby boutique or natural parenting store in your area. For the most part, BRU is only going to carry the crappy carriers in store (although they do have ergos online now). You'll find better carriers and better help in learning how to use them if you go somewhere else.  

• I have the Moby, Bjorn, and Ergo.  I used the Bjorn a lot when my DD was little up through about 7mos or so.  It worked well, but as she got heavier it was more difficult on my back/shoulders.  I loved the Moby when I was wearing it and it has been better as she has gotten heavier.  However for quick in and out trips the Bjorn or Ergo is definitely best.  The Moby isn't difficult to tie or put on/off, but what I hated was that it would drag on the ground when trying to put it on...not great if you were out or in a parking lot.  The Ergo is all around better for your back etc, the only drawback is that you can't wear it with the baby facing out and my DD did not want to be facing me most of the time.  The Moby and Bjorn you could. Oh and not sure if you travel a lot but the Moby is not the best for the airport because you would have to take it off and carry the baby and put it back on again - if you are flying solo with the baby its almost impossible to do unless you wanted to hand your baby off to a stranger...its not easy with the Bjorn or Ergo but it can be done.  Ergo is also great for wearing baby on the back...can't be done with the Bjorn and very tricky with the Moby.

Good Luck. 

• I put the moby on before I left the house. Just wore it sans baby while I drove wherever we were going, if I knew I was going to be wearing her. 

and it's just cotton, you should be just fine wearing it through airport security.  

• I loved my Moby wrap.....it was really the only way I got my daughter to sleep the first few months.  The drawback is, I had a big baby....and once she started wiggling more (about 4 months)....she really no longer fit in it.  It just didn't feel secure.

I agree that it can be a pain to put on outside the house, but it wasn't bad once you learned how.  I am interested in the K'Tan this time....same concept, but looks easier than the moby......

I also had a pouch style sling, which I like, only after the baby was older....6 months or so...The ergo is what she spent the most time in after the 6-8 month mark.

good luck....wearing your baby is a life saver

• This is baby #3 for me and I had a sling for my 1st which I hated... I had one like the bjorn w/ the straps that snap on and I hated it... I recently got a Sleepy Wrap that I know I am going to LOVE! I have put my 2 year old in it a couple of times and I cannot wait to use it with the new baby! It is WAY more comfy than the other wraps and it is stretchy so it is comfy for both baby and mom. I have heard that the Moby wrap is very similar to the Sleepy Wrap but it isn't as stretchy which makes it less comfy. Hope that helps! :)
  • imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

they're two totally different style carriers. But the moby is going to be better for your back and for your LO's back and hips (bjorns are HORRIBLE for babies spines and hips). 

I love my ergo, but I also love my wraps. I'm planning on getting one of the UV mobys for this baby. 

This, minus getting another moby. I love love love my Ergo.  

• imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagekjuryfl:
    Thanks ladies. I appreciate all of the input! I'm hoping to be able to try out the slings/carriers BRU has in store.

don't go to BRU. Find a baby boutique or natural parenting store in your area. For the most part, BRU is only going to carry the crappy carriers in store (although they do have ergos online now). You'll find better carriers and better help in learning how to use them if you go somewhere else.  

THIS!  They don't really know anything about anything at BRU, especially carriers.  All you will find are the Bjorns and such that are bad on your back and baby's hips.

We will be getting a moby, or some kind of wrap, for the newborn period this time... and we have an Ergo for later.  We will still have a newborn insert for the Ergo, if we decide to use that from the start.

I kicked it old school with DS, I just carried him in my arms.  I don't recommend that. :)

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hello, I was a nanny for a long time and I personally LOVE the moby wrap. It's wonderful for creating that special bond between you and the baby. Also, if you're up for the challenge (not so challenging) you can make one easily for a fraction of the cost of an actual moby. I made 3 and I think they came out great! I will be posting a pic of it on my blog very soon.

https://babycravings.blogspot.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"