Baby Showers
Options

Long Distance Baby Shower / Stay at home Shower

I'm in the military and I just wanted to share what my mom is doing for me, as I will not be traveling home before the baby is born.

She is sending out Stay at home Baby Shower Tea...

In the quiet of your home, with the Bible in your lap, we encourage you to make a cup of tea, relax and join in my effort to celebrate the anticipated birth of my grandson.

Baby Jacob's anticipated arrival date is 23 July.  Any gift no matter how large or small will be appreciated, especially monetary gifts that can be used towards larger items.  If you are not able to give a gift at this time, don't despair please just take a moment and whisper a prayer.  Thank you in advance for your kindness!

Please mail all gifts to: Name / Address

For more info Call: Name / number

Baby registry stuff...

I just wanted to share with you all.  I know it's hard to be away from family and worry about showers and what not, but I thought this was cute!

Re: Long Distance Baby Shower / Stay at home Shower

• Options
    The intentions are good but there are some etiquette issues there.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Options

It was sweet/thoughtful, until you specifically asked for gifts and money.  My jaw would be on the floor if I received that invitation/message.

I would seriously rethink sending this to anyone without some alterations.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bringing God into it does not make it OK.  YOWZA.
  • Options
    Wow.  I think bringing the bible into this makes it even worse.  That is in such poor taste.
  • Options
    She is mailing tea bags and in return is soliciting gifts/money for your baby? Not good. If any of those people want to send a gift they will ask where you are registered or just send a check. Please don't send those out. It's reeeeeeeaaaly shameless.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageYellow_Daisy:

It was sweet/thoughtful, until you specifically asked for gifts and money.  My jaw would be on the floor if I received that invitation/message.

I would seriously rethink sending this to anyone without some alterations.

THIS. 98% of people would understand and figure out how to send a gift if they wanted to. I would NOT specifically ask for gift- ESPECIALLY cash!!! 

• Options
    Embarrassed  This sounds like what i get in the mail from charities that want me to donate....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageCorts:
    She is mailing tea bags and in return is soliciting gifts/money for your baby? Not good. If any of those people want to send a gift they will ask where you are registered or just send a check. Please don't send those out. It's reeeeeeeaaaly shameless.

Haha - I was going to ask if your mom was mailing tea bags, too!

• Options
    If I were planning on sending a gift, if I got an "invitation" like that, I probably would no longer send a gift. Horribly rude.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    All my extended family just found out we are pregnant and they are already asking if I'm coming home for a shower and where I am registered... So that's why she worded it such...  But I will def explain your opinions to her.  How would you word it?

• Options

imageAshleyM1985:
    All my extended family just found out we are pregnant and they are already asking if I'm coming home for a shower and where I am registered... So that's why she worded it such...  But I will def explain your opinions to her.  How would you word it?

Word what? A shower invite when you're not actually having a shower?

If they're asking when the shower is, then she needs to say that you are unable to come home for a shower because of ____ (whatever the reason is that you can't go home)

There's no polite way to ask people to send you gifts.

• Options

imageAshleyM1985:

Honestly if you just left out the gift/money/registry part I think it is a really thoughtful message about her excitement about her grandson.  Most people will get that you can't come home for a shower and probably ask her if you are registered or send a gift without it being mentioned.  With it mentioned like it is it just cheapens what she is trying to do which is celebrate and honor you and your baby.  If your family/friends are religious I really think the sentiment she is going for is lovely.

I'm sure it's difficult to be away from your family at such a special time.  Maybe the next time you are home you could have a meet the baby party in lieu of a shower.  

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options
    Ditto danilynn. Nothing needs to be sent out at all.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I will third danilynn.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Options
    Please don't let your mom send something like that out.  It's pretty bad.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAshleyM1985:

If she wants everyone to say prayer for the baby on the same day, it's fine to send that out. The tea bag is a cute touch in that context.

But there should be no mention of gifts at all. That is the etiquette issue. She should just tell them where you are registered when they ask, not in separate mailing later. That wording is actually even too detailed for an in-person shower, let alone a non-shower.

• Options
    My DH is also in the military and we live over seas. I know how hard it is to be away from friends and family espc when you're pregnant. But, I also feel that the at home shower isn't the best idea.  I'm sure your friends and family are willing to help out/send gifts with out the stay at home shower invite.. JMHO
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"