Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Plane ride with 2 month old?

I'm a little ahead of myself here, but my MIL just called and was talking about Christmas this year. All of the family is getting a huge cabin and it's a big deal.

She doesn't know we are expecting yet, so I just said that I was looking forward to it etc. Now that I'm thinking about it the baby will be around 2 months old if he/she comes on time. I delivered earlier than expected with my first.

I will feel so bad to say we are unable to come, is there any way this could work? Thanks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Plane ride with 2 month old?

• Hmm, honestly I wouldn't take a 2mo old to an airport during Xmas unless they have had their checkup & 1st round of shots. 

We travelled over Thanksgiving with a 3mo old and it was fairly painless.  But, then again, we may be lucky!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We flew over Thanksgiving when DD was four months old.  It was super easy, and way better than I expected it to be (in terms of how she did).  We thought about flying when she was 6 weeks old (DH is from another state, and his family still lives there), but decided against it.  Our pedi said it was up to us, but that he would rather we wait until she had her four month shots before flying with her.  I think it will end up being a personal choice, but that is what we decided.  Again, she was great when we flew with her at 4 months.  Good luck, and congrats on baby #2!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We took DD2 on an airplane at 6 weeks old, then came back, and again at 9 weeks old. It is what you are comfortable with though.
  • Like others said, I think it would be a personal choice of what you are comfortable with. But it was so much easier traveling with DD when she was that age! She slept all the time and anywhere!
  • As a mom of 2, what I'd be concerned about is how do you and your H juggle the two kids and all your stuff (ie purse, diaper bag, suitcases, PNPs, car seats, etc). If you parked @ the airport, how do you get the stuff to the skycap? When you get to your destination, how do you get your baggage to the rental car with an 18 month old and an infant?

I don't know about you, but my 18 month old had to be held onto at all times. He didn't stay close, and he didn't listen when I called out to him. And of course, an infant would need to be carried or worn. You'd need plenty of diapers and toys in the diaper bag, plus your purse, plus carrying or wearing the baby - that's gonna be heavy.

I guess you could pull all your baggage off and sit and wait while your H gets your rental car, but you'd have to wrangle the 18 month old. I dunno.... it sounds hard. GL.

• imageInLovewSB:

As a mom of 2, what I'd be concerned about is how do you and your H juggle the two kids and all your stuff (ie purse, diaper bag, suitcases, PNPs, car seats, etc). If you parked @ the airport, how do you get the stuff to the skycap? When you get to your destination, how do you get your baggage to the rental car with an 18 month old and an infant?

I don't know about you, but my 18 month old had to be held onto at all times. He didn't stay close, and he didn't listen when I called out to him. And of course, an infant would need to be carried or worn. You'd need plenty of diapers and toys in the diaper bag, plus your purse, plus carrying or wearing the baby - that's gonna be heavy.

I guess you could pull all your baggage off and sit and wait while your H gets your rental car, but you'd have to wrangle the 18 month old. I dunno.... it sounds hard. GL.

Does sound like it would definitely be a struggle!

It's the last time my husband would be able to see his Brother & Sister before their furlough is over (They are Missionaries). Next time they will behome is another 3 years. We might make it work, we will just have to see when the time comes.

Thanks for the reality check though! Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's totally do-able.  We took DD#1 on a plane at 8 weeks.  She had her shots the week before.  She slept pretty much the whole ride.  I just breastfed her to help her ears on the way up and down.  It's kind of nice at that age since they don't really have a schedule or anything and they'll sleep any where. And CONGRATS by the way :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"