South Florida Babies
Options

need advice about induction and Group B Strep

Hello Ladies,

I'm at 37 weeks and a day, so this baby is almost here!  Literally actually - at my 35 week check-up they found that I was 2cm, 80% effaced and the baby was at 0 station.  I know that it's possible to be pregnant for weeks like that, but I've been trying to stay off my feet as much as possible for the past 10 days just to not speed things along.  After a *very* short labor and delivery with DS at 39w 4 days, my biggest concern all along with this pregnancy has been the potential for having an even quicker labor and not making it to the hospital in time.  With DS I was at 2cm for weeks before suddenly starting contractions one night after dinner and making it to the hospital about 30 minutes before it was time to push.

My Doctor's office just called to tell me that I've tested positive for Group B Strep, so now my next concern is whether to allow them to do an induction in order to control the timing of the delivery and dosing of antibiotics for the GBS (2 courses of IV antibiotics, 4 hours apart).  I think I'm definitely in favor of that plan and being induced, since for induction the plan seems to be either just sweeping the membranes or maybe breaking my water and not resorting to Pitocin.  But I'm also concerned about heading down a path that may mean delivering before the baby is really ready - or even lead to a C-Section.

So I guess the reason I'm writing is to ask for advice - it's hard to be clear headed about this, but I keep feeling like the longer I can delay the better it is for the baby.  Right up until the point that I delay too long and don't get to the hospital...  Any words of wisdom?  Has anyone here been induced without using Pitocin?

Re: need advice about induction and Group B Strep

• Options

I cant type much because i am nursing but given your history, you should definately talk to your OB. (who do you see?)

I am not in favor of inductions but your case is completly different. My girlfriend , like you had very fast deliveries, almost didnt make it the third time. the labor was so quick, they didnt have time to give her the antibiotics (she tested + for strep b during her 2nd and 3rd) and her daughter had to go in the NICU for a few days. not fun.

I had my membranes stripped 3 times and never went into labor and had to be induced with pitocin. I bet you wont have to though if you were 2cm at 35 weeks plus I saw you last week and I think you are SO ready!! (not that my opinion means anything!)

GOod luck! cant wait to hear about the birth!

• Options

I was almost 39 weeks when my doctor found protein in my urine & a little bit higher blood pressure than usual, so they decided to induce me the next morning. Before I left that day, they swept my membranes and I went into labor that night. They ended up still having to break my waters and give me Pitocin though, because things just weren't moving along at all (I was stuck at 4cm).

My doctor and I talked about the possibility of being induced when I was around 37 weeks because I was already dilated 2cm and 100% effaced. He said that I could be induced at 38 weeks since I was already dilating and effacing, and that makes for an easy induction, plus he said that "nothing good really happens for the baby after 38 weeks". Your doctors wouldn't advise you to think about induction if they didn't think the baby was ready. If it were me, I'd go the safe route and have the induction rather than take the chances of not making it to the hospital in time. Maybe it will only take the sweeping of the membranes and breaking of your waters to put you into labor and you won't even need the Pitocin! Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would probably do it if I were you. I think your cervix is very favorable for an induction, so i don't think you'd stall or end up with a c-section. Plus you need the antibiotics.  I used to work in L&D and when a mom was GBS + and couldn't get antibiotics, the baby was automatically admitted to NICU, started on an IV and antibiotics. I wouldn't want my baby to have to do that.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    AlbahAlbah member

imageg8orell:
    I would probably do it if I were you. I think your cervix is very favorable for an induction, so i don't think you'd stall or end up with a c-section. Plus you need the antibiotics.  I used to work in L&D and when a mom was GBS + and couldn't get antibiotics, the baby was automatically admitted to NICU, started on an IV and antibiotics. I wouldn't want my baby to have to do that.

I agree with this! In the end, make the decision you and your Ob are most comfortable with and agree upon. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Thanks ladies!

I went in for a check-up this morning, and they found that I'm at 3cm, but now only 50% effaced, so we scheduled an induction for 3/11. If I happen to go earlier than that and don't have a chance to get the antibiotics, I've learned that luckily Boca Community is one of the few hospitals around that does not automatically take a baby born to a GBS+ mom to the NICU.  They will monitor closely and depending on the pediatrician may take blood samples and/or blood cultures to check, but they only put the baby in the NICU if there's any sign of infection and antibiotics need to be administered.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"