Minnesota Babies

Recs for midwife attended hospital birth

Hello. I am wanting to look into using a midwife for a hospital birth. Has anyone used a MW? Where did you deliver? Was it a good experience? Can I ask what thE cost was? This is our 3rd child. I have delivered at home with a MW with my other 2 kids. Cost won't be the deciding factor but I felt I wanted to look into the option of using an in network MW this time. I have LOVED birthing at home. I just want to seek out this option before I make my final decision. Oh I am located in Elk River. Thank you so much for any input you all can give, I very much appreciate it :)

Re: Recs for midwife attended hospital birth

• I see the midwives at North Metro Midwives and have been really happy there so far. I can't speak to delivery or cost yet as I'm not due for 2 months, but everything is covered by my insurance. I will hopefully deliver at North Memorial in Robbinsdale, but they also deliver at the new hospital in Maple Grove. So far I have loved my experience, and if you want you can set up a consultation with them to meet them and ask any specific questions you have. My consultation appointment is what solidified my choice to switch from my current doctor the the midwives.

Good luck!

image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• I used the midwives at Generations Womens Health in Shoreview and delivered at St. Johns. I think our bill was around $11,000. I would definitely use Generations and deliver at St. Johns again. I had a great experience. Good luck!

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I used the Health East midwives (out of Woodbury - so probably not a realistic choice for you), but I just looked up my charges, and my delivery (excluding prenatal care) charges were $3,035 for the midwife and $5,834 for the hospital.

Those include delivery and time at the hospital.  I had an easy, drug-free labor, but had some complications after delivery.  I believe the hospital charges include some OB time for someone who was called away from another delivery to come and assist.  I also delivered at Woodwinds, which I don't think is one of the cheaper hospitals around.

I was also in L&D two days earlier, and that charge was $573 for the hospital, $162 for the midwife.

Prenatal appointments appear to have been charged at $75ish a visit + labs/ultrasound costs.

It all rolled through insurance and I did not end up paying for very much at all though.

• Another vote for Health East - the location is not at all convenient for you but I delievered at St. Joe's with the midwives and thought it was great.  It was nothing like I expected from a hospital - I felt so well taken care of, they followed my birth plan, the nurses were great, etc. etc.

My insurance is great so I have no idea what the cost was.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all for sharing! This gives me some thing to look up :)
  • I see the midwives at Fairview out of Riverside/University Medical Center.  I think they have a clinic out near Elk River?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure of costs...but I used the midwife team from HealthParners St. Paul Clinic, and delivered at Regions (including my VBAC baby). I highly recommend them all, they are really a great team, and I loved Regions.
    Ashley & Christian
  • imagebakemecakes:
    I see the midwives at Fairview out of Riverside/University Medical Center.  I think they have a clinic out near Elk River?

This is who I used - Fairview Riverside Womens Clinic, delivered at Fairview Riverside.  Saw all the MW during my pregnancy, loved them all.  They were awesome about me wanting a med-free, intervention-free childbirth in the hospital.  I got to labor the entire time in the tub, amazing.

Since I had no meds/interventions (not even an IV placed), my bill was about $6000 I think?  I ended up paying just a couple hundred after insurance.  Good luck!  I love MWs :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"