Breastfeeding

I need new nipples!!!

GOsh...I am sure that gripes about raw nipples are common here...so this is mostly just a rant...but the next person that tells me that breastfeeding is not SUPPOSED to be painful is gonna get socked in the jaw. What to do when you have damage from previous latches that is not healing or getting worse due to baby's insatiable need to eat at LEAST once every 3 hours?!  Sad

It is so discouraging. Little guy is feeding so often that the second he cries (over anything) I cower in fear that he wants to latch again...any encouragement? I applaud the moms that do this exclusively for months, and that is what I am trying to do...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: I need new nipples!!!

• I'm with you on not wanting to hear if it's done right it shouldn't be painful. That's crap! What's right about that statement is that over time MOST nursing mothers tend not to feel pain after some time adjusting to nursing but in the beginning it hurts like hell! Cracked, bleeding nipples is not my idea of a good time. I stuck it through and the painful part lasted about 3 weeks. After that it has honestly been a breeze. I have been BF'ing now for almost 7 months. On the days where my nipples hurt too much I lanolin creamed them up like crazy all day/night and sometimes I would pump to give myself a "break". I started LO on a bottle of BM at 6 weeks old so DH could help with feedings. It all worked out great.

I will warn you that once teething starts (the actual tooth cutting through) the nipple pain might be experienced again. My nipples were sore (but not cracked and bleeding) for about 1 1/2 weeks because LO was getting used to the new "feeling" of the tooth in her mouth and her latch changed for a few days. It's all fine now and we are back to normal again. It is so worth it to  be giving her the best nutrition possible at this point in her life.

hang in there, it totally gets better!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imagePrince Spaghetti Night imageXO My Funny Valentine XO
  • Try the Soothies Gel Pads. They work miracles! You can put them in the fridge and they get cold and it is like instant relief! I have had to EP since going back to work (thanks to nipple confusion) and mine have hurt sooo bad!!! But I bought some of these the other day cause i was about ready to just quit and say screw it!  But they really helped! Lanolin cream is great too. good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • A word about lanolin. IMO the Medela Tender Care is for some reason loads better than the basic lanolin. Its softer (easier to apply to sore nipples) and won't stain your bra/shirt like the lanolin can.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for the encouraging words! 

@Anneimal98- Is the Tender Care ok for babies if it gets in their mouth? Or must you wash it off before feedings?

I have been worried about my supply, but I am working on it...feeding around every 2-3 hours and pumping in between if I can. The pump is not that effective, but I just got some of the softfit flanges for my Medela Pump N Style today and they seem to draw milk out better. I need to get my breasts used to the pump because I need to go back to work after 6 weeks and I will have to pump then. I am active duty military, and I will not have the chance to have the baby during lunch break to feed. Anyone else having issues with pumps not being very effective?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Nope - no need to wash it off!
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"