Rhode Island Babies

Delivery Planning

I know, I know, I'm only six weeks. I like to plan ahead.

My husband heard from one of his co-workers that they had a horrible experience attempting to have a natural birth and W&I. I am curious to hear from others about what they have heard and if it was bad enough that I should consider switching to a different OB GYN practice since the one I currently go to only delivers there.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Delivery Planning

• I am a first time mom so I don't really know how W&I is.  We have gone to our birthing classes last weekend and we were told to express our wishes in our birth plan.  The L&D nurses are very good about adhering to it within reason.  The other thing we learned is that WE don't really call the shots.  Baby comes first then Mom so as long as  your baby is healthy and is not showing any signs of distress they will respect your wishes.  Hope this helps. 

PS We used the birth plan from the bump and just added a few notes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hello and congratulations!

An amazing resource is the Rhode Island Birth Network, https://ribirth.net/. They have lists of providers and facilities as well as much much more.

Another good resource (even this early!) are the Doulas of RI, https://doulasri.org/. These women have a main line into everything birth in RI. The next Meet the Doulas night is tomorrow at the Rochambeau Library in Providence (more info on their site). They'll have tons of information out and you can pick their brains too.

Personally, I had an amazing birth experience with Mary Mumford-Hailey at Memorial Hospital with DS2 and a not so great experience at W&I with a different midwife for DS1.

Again congratulations!

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard a lot of good things about Mary Mumford-Haley and was surprised to find out she's extremely close to where I live.

My concern now is exactly how the process or looking into switching care givers happens. I have an appointment on Friday to check blueberry's heart rate, should I let them know at that time that I am considering going to a smaller practice closer to my home? Would it be best to just call the various places I've heard good reports of and schedule an interview or something? This whole thing is very confusing and I just want to get it settled and comfortable early on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"