Minnesota Babies
Options

Waterbirth at Woodwinds?

Has anyone had a waterbirth at Woodwinds?  How was it?  If anyone has done both a waterbirth and a "land" birth, which would you do again?  Pros, cons?
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Waterbirth at Woodwinds?

• Options
    I did a waterbirth at St. Joe's.  I wouldn't have done it any other way.  With the additional 37 pounds I was carrying, the water made it possible to move more easily, helped me relax, the room was calm and warm.  I had 2.5 hours of pushing and I'm not sure I could've had a natural birth without being in the water.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I haven't yet, but I am planning to having a waterbirth at Woodwinds. One of my friends had a waterbirth last September at a birth center, and had nothing but good things to say about it.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister had a waterbirth at St. Joe's (which is part of the Health East system, same as Woodwinds) and loved the experience.  I am birthing at Woodwinds (regular birth though) and toured the hospital - the water birthing room is very nice.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was interested in a waterbirth at St. Joe's with my last child, but my MW told me around 35 weeks that I was just 'too large' (read: fat) to get moved in and out of the tub by the nurses and midwives safely and easily. (I'm 5'10" and 285 lbs, or was at that time anyway with a completely healthy pregnancy- no complications). Oh well.

I know that there are a few restrictions (besides 'largeness') that factor into whether you can have a waterbirth or not. I'd talk to your OB/MW before getting your heart set on doing it. 

• Options
    imageSuchaPayne310:

I was interested in a waterbirth at St. Joe's with my last child, but my MW told me around 35 weeks that I was just 'too large' (read: fat) to get moved in and out of the tub by the nurses and midwives safely and easily. (I'm 5'10" and 285 lbs, or was at that time anyway with a completely healthy pregnancy- no complications). Oh well.

I know that there are a few restrictions (besides 'largeness') that factor into whether you can have a waterbirth or not. I'd talk to your OB/MW before getting your heart set on doing it. 

There are a lot of restrictions.  You have to be cleared in advance, and then you have to have basically a textbook labor.  If there are any issues whatsoever, they want you on dry land. 

• Options
    Genevieve - who was your doc @ St Joe's?
  • Options

I had a waterbirth at Woodwinds in September.  LOVED it.  It was my first- but was shocked at how "non-traumatic" the birth was.  I used a doula and took hypnobirthing.  Highly recommend both.  :-)

The only thing I did not care for was that there is only one birthing tub.  I didn't feel rushed during labor whatsoever, but we did have to "clear out" after I delivered so they could prep for the next person.

We really liked Woodwinds and will be going there in the future should God bless us with another!  :-)

• Options

imagefirebirdie_77@hotmail.com:
    Genevieve - who was your doc @ St Joe's?

YGPM

• Options
    I had a waterbirth at St Joes and a 'land' birth at Woodwinds. Like the ladies above me said, there are a whole list of reasons why one cannot have a waterbirth, so try not to set your heart on it (but still hope for the best!). I was not allowed to get in the tub until it was time to push, and then I was free to get into whatever position felt the best. I only pushed for through 2 contractions and DS was out.... It made it ridiculously easy! When I had DD at Woodwinds, someone else was birthing in the tub, and I was pretty pissed at first, but then I was progressing so fast it didn't matter anymore; I had her 20 minutes after arriving there. It was a blessing in disguise though, because there was meconium so that would have been dangerous to birth her in the water. I had a midwife for each one. Good luck, and I really hope you get to have the birth that you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"