High-Risk Pregnancy

Success Story for those with IC/Cerclage

Hi Ladies,

I posted a very long time ago (about 4 months now) but had a really tough pregnancy and bed rest and just didn't keep up with the boards.

I just wanted to offer some encouragement to those mamas here that have incompetent cervix and/or cerclage.

Long story short, my cervix went from 3.5 to 1.2cm in less than a week at 20 weeks. I had funneling and bulging membranes, and dr's gave me a much higher risk of infection, pPROM, rupture of membranes during surgery, etc if we were to go ahead with the cerclage but without it I most certainly wouldn't carry him to viability. We went ahead and did it, we already knew we were having a boy and had named him. I had to try for him.

After a really tough recovery I started strict bed rest, bathroom privileges only. I struggled with borderline low fluid off and on from 27 weeks despite drinking a gallon of water a day, but never getting below 7 (for any with low fluid I found powerade and gatorade, at least one a day, helped keep my AFI number up). I developed pubic symphasis diastis also, and so even laying in bed was quite painful. At 33.5 weeks the stitch was causing so much pain it was removed unexpectedly at a routine appointment, and I was given betamethasone for my son's lungs, just in case. I immediately dilated to a 2. BUT miracle of all miracles it has been 3 weeks and I have made no change, still dilated to a 2, 80% effaced. I have even been taken off bed rest (though with the PSD I don't push it too much). Due to a previous condition I'm having a scheduled c-section March 15th at 38w 4d. My son has passed every test with flying colors, he is 100% healthy and on track for size and weight.

I just wanted to give a happy story to those of you currently stuck on bed rest with babies who are still pre-term gestationally. The bed rest can be maddening at times, the house will get messy even with the best husband/family, relying on others for everything gets trying, the worrying "will they come today?", constantly preparing yourself each week for what to expect from the NICU if they were to be born today and freaking over every little symptom, worrying about finances from not being able to work, feeling like a burden, it is all so tough. But it can and will have a good outcome. It was so frustrating to hear moms who had breezy pregnancies dismiss me by simply saying "it's all worth it" when I'd describe a painful symptom or latest complication and they hadn't the slightest idea what I was going through, but I had to just let it roll off. It is true though, all this pain and frustration WILL be worth it when I see my son's face, and when my husband thanks me for everything I've done for our son it is the best feeling in the world.

Good luck to ALL the IC/Cerclage mommies here, I wish you all nothing but positive outcomes for both you and your LO's! 

p.s. while some people do have an ok time with their cerclage removal, I was one of the lucky ones to experience a decent amount of pain, so if you're ok with taking tylenol I'd recommend taking a couple just in case. It might take the edge off. And if they show you the stitch, don't be surprised to find it looks nothing like you expect, and more like weed eater line! lol 

Re: Success Story for those with IC/Cerclage

• I just wanted to say that this is REALLY encouraging.

I had a second pregnancy loss a while back with a first (relatively uncomplicated pregnancy), full-term delivery and a third (cerclage with hospital bed-rest pregnancy), full-term delivery as well.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Thank you x1000 for posting this. We had almost the same situation- my membranes were bulging and I had the rescue cerclage put in on 1/18. Been on hospital bedrest ever since, but I've done so well that I am scheduled to go home on Thursday.

I never thought I would make it this far six weeks ago, and I hope that sometime in May I'll be looking back just like you are, amazed that I've made it all the way. 

Thanks for the inspiration. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you soooooo much for sharing this!!  its so very encouraging to hear!  especially that even after they cut the stitch you've been able to get to full full term!  wow...that's so great!  thank you for sharing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's very sweet of you. I had a cerclage as well with my daughter and obviously it was a success!
  • Congrats for making it to full term and TY for coming in to share some encouragement for us IC Mommas. It's definitely a roller coaster and women with normal pregnancies just do not understand. SIL who had two perfect pregnancies tries to tell things to me like she knows it all and it is so irritating, my pregnancy is nothing like hers and it's so annoying. I mentioned pressure and she said "oh you don't even know, wait until the last two weeks" ....sighs. IF I make it to 38 weeks you mean? Oh and yes, I can feel every little thing, I have a stitch in my cervix! Uggh.
  • I hada cerclage with my dd and I made it to 36 weeks,they thought she would be tiny,but she was almost 6 pounds when she was born!I just hope that my twins will stay inside of me as long as they can.My friend had a perfect pregnancy and is so negative about my pregnancy its unreal.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"