High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Short Cervix and Pressure

I was told 2 weeks ago that my cervix is on the shorter side (3.8) and they are monitoring it for because I was 50% effaced at 30 weeks with DD. As of last Monday my cervix was the same and I go back on Friday for an u/s. 

Last night I started feeling pressure and it is on and off again today. It feels like I have to go to the bathroom all the time. Anyone experience this? I am going to call the nurse, but wanted to see if any of you have been through this first. 

Thanks 

Re: Short Cervix and Pressure

• Options
    I am surprised to hear that a 3.8 was considered to be on the shorter side.  Anything over a 2.5 is considered in the normal range.  Regarding the pressure, I felt this once early in the second trimester, it turned out to be nothing but you can never be too safe so I think that you are doing the right thing by calling the nurse.  Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Options
    They said normal is 3-6 and they would not even follow up with me if it weren't for my history with DD. Since I am on the shorter end of the normal range they want to watch to make sure it doesn't get any shorter. Make sense? I am going to call the nurse and keep you posted. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I experienced the pressure that sounds similar to what you're describing during my 2nd pregnancy at 22 weeks although the outcome there was nothing to be desired (please understand I'm not trying to scare). I say this to support you in contacting your doc to find out what you need to do based on what you're experiencing and your history.

I was also going to say that 3.8cm doesn't sound short BUT it may be short relative to what it normally measures for you.

I always state that if something feels out-of-the-ordinary then ask the doc. Keep us updated.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Options

I had lots of pressure and after calling the oncall phone of my drs office both decided to go to l&d to get checked out. So they said everything was ok and got a dr appt the next day. My dr checked me and i was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced.

It could be anything or nothing. just call the dr and keep us updated

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't want to under react but I don't think you should be too stressed. 3.8 is great! I feel pressure too and no MDs are too concerned as long as there are no contraction and cervical change. Good luck and I hope you go full term!
  • Options
    3.8 is a long cervix!!!!  seriously..my MFM would freak out if mine was that long!
  • Options

imagebride2be.austin:
    3.8 is a long cervix!!!!  seriously..my MFM would freak out if mine was that long!

this!  

my ob says 3.5 cm is "normal."  i had pressure (and cramping) early on in the 2nd tri too.  i went in for an u/s and everything was fine (granted I also have a cerclage).   good luck & keep us updated!

• Options
    i always feel pressure. i was feeling it early on (before 20 weeks) no one seemed concerned. Then at 21 weeks it was 2.8  (cervical length) and kept going down from there. So Im not sure? Looking back i think the pressure that I was feeling wasnt normal. Now my length is less than 1cm and Im on bedrest. Just make sure they follow you closely. Goodluck:)   Tammy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you for being supportive. They had me come in for an u/s to check my cervix and it had stayed the same. Baby has moved head down and was pretty low so that was probably the pressure I was feeling. 

I understand that anything over 3 is normal, my doctor said it is on the shorter side so she wants to watch it closely.

Good luck to all of you ladies! 

• Options
    imageGreenNGold:

Thank you for being supportive. They had me come in for an u/s to check my cervix and it had stayed the same. Baby has moved head down and was pretty low so that was probably the pressure I was feeling. 

I understand that anything over 3 is normal, my doctor said it is on the shorter side so she wants to watch it closely.

Good luck to all of you ladies! 

Glad to know there's no change. Keep us updated!

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Options
    I have a cerclage and am pregnant with twins and have pressure too,I only had it once real bad.My doctors appt is Thursday so I will ask her about it.This pregnancy has been real different and nothing seems normal to me lo..
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"