Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

what to do about lunches at babysitter's

I have been packing breakfast and lunch for DD when she goes to the sitter's house ever since she started finger foods.  My sitter watches another toddler DD's age and a 2 yr old and then she has a 2 yr old and 5 yr old of her own. Anyway, she has mentioned that a couple time DD hasn't been interested in the lunch I packed for her and wants what the other kids are having, which for example, today was hotdogs.  She said she is fine feeding DD what ever I pack or she can eat what the older kids are eating.  It just seems like they don't eat that healthy....hotdogs, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese (out of a box).  I know she always adds a fruit and/or veggie.  I just want DD to continue to like healthy foods like she does now, but it would also be easier for me not to worry about packing food every day (and she is not charging me any extra for the food she would provide) so......WWYD?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what to do about lunches at babysitter's

• it's going to be hard for her to see the other kids eating things and she can't have them - so i'd just let her eat what is served - assuming it's being cut up appropriately (hotdogs = huge choking hazard, etc)... it's a tough battle....

i can say that i LOVE the meal plan at my daycare - life is so much easier now that all 3 of mine are on it!

• Explain that concern to your babysitter in the nicest possible way and see what you can work out.  (FYI, I usually send over a piece of fruit with DD because I know that her babysitter tends not to have fresh fruit at her house.)  If you bring it up, you might be able to get a kids' weekly menu set up at babysitter's house, which actually would make things easier for her preparation-wise and help you rest assured that LO is eating properly.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a bit different from the norm on the bump. I see most of the foods that you mentioned as normal "toddler" foods. Yes, my daughter eats fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc., but mac n cheese (sometimes homemade, sometimes from a box), chicken nuggets (not fried), hot dogs (I actually prefer turkey dogs), etc. are all foods that I would feed my daughter on a regular basis (some of them she won't eat). As long as your daughter is getting her fruits and veggies, whole grains, proteins, etc. and you don't have an issue with those foods, then I say let her eat what the daycare is providing.

You can always make sure to have "healthier" options at breakfast and dinner time.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I do a home daycare and provide the parents with a menu each week so they can choose whether to bring lunch or have it provided.  We do chicken nuggets often but I use boneless skinless chicken breast and cut it in chunks, roll it in egg then bread crumbs and bake it.  Same kind of thing for fish sticks.  We do hot dogs which I know isn't the greatest but like the PP said it is normal toddler food.  With each meal we serve a grain, a fruit and a veggie along with milk so even if it is hot dogs they are getting a fairly well balanced meal.  Better than most kids get fed at home in fact!

I guess what I am trying to get at is see what she serves, how she prepares it, etc and if it is acceptable to you then let her have it.  It is so much easier to have lunch provided and that way she will eat at least!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • I'm in the minority I guess. 

I'm very picky about their daily food.  I would continue to pack their lunches.  Maybe allow a couple of small bites, but not an entire meal. A treat every once in a while is fine, but daily snacks like that add up to a lot of additives and preservatives that their little bodies just don't need.

Yes, those foods might be  "normal toddler food," but that doesn't make them healthy.  Even if served with a well-balanced diet they are still highly processed, high calorie, high sodium, high fat foods. Why even allow her to develop an affinity for them? You and I could both eat a pound of spinach after a Big Mac, but that isn't going to make the Big Mac any healthier.

Both of my girls had hummus and whole wheat pita in their lunch today.   I know this comes off as a bit sanctimonious, but I feel passionately about the quality of food my family consumes. It is time consuming to prepare meals, and pack them for DC, but it is worth it, IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"