Breastfeeding
Options

won't drink from a bottle-UGH

I'm sure you've heard this a million times. My son is 3 1/2 months and EBF. Used to to take a bottle of pumped milk fine until a month ago, now screams bloody murder. He has taken maybe 3 bottles since then, all from someone other than me. My mom and husband have been trying to give him a bottle and he won't take it. They try when he's not starving, have warmed the nipple, drip milk on his lips, different nipples. Nothing.

Any other tricks or tips to get him to take a bottle?  Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: won't drink from a bottle-UGH

• Options
    DS went through a phase from about 7-10 weeks where he wouldn't take a bottle.  My pedi recommended being really patient one day and I just kept offering the bottle instead of nursing him.  I held him like I was nursing him, but gave him a bottle instead.  At first he refused, like usual, and got fussy and fell asleep.  When he woke up, I tried again and he ended up taking the bottle.  He would only take it from me at first and then he was able to take it from other people again.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

There totally needs to be a FAQ on this!  I used to ask about it, but now I answer.  Unfortunately my answer is no help.  I've not been successful getting DS to take a bottle since he started refusing at 4 months.  I am just now getting him to drink a little at a time from a sippy cup, but it's going to be a long process I think.

Anyway, one thing a lot of people will say is that if you are not there and LO is hungry enough, he WILL take a bottle.  He will be upset and maybe fight it, but he will likely end up drinking it.  I can't say from personal experience because I just make sure to be home or have DS with me when he needs to nurse.  It's been kind of a pain in the butt, but now he will go 5-6 hours during the day and also eats food so it's not so bad. 

GL! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I think I will go the sippy cup route if the fast flow nipples I ordered don't do the trick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"