Parenting

Would you expect lunch at a 1pm child's party?

DS wants to have a floor hockey/indoor soccer party.  We can rent the gym at our church for the Saturday before his birthday, but not the Saturday after.  Ideally I wanted to do the party from 2-4pm to avoid having to haul lunch stuff there- I was just going to do cake & a fruit tray, maybe some cheese and crackers. However we have somewhere to go at 5:30 that night, so I am thinking 1-3pm would leave us more time and less rushing.  Do you think people will expect lunch?  It is a party for kids only (5 & 6 y.o. boys), no adults.

WWYD?

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.

Re: Would you expect lunch at a 1pm child's party?

• I wouldn't expect lunch at that time. 
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • EMTEMT member
    I would expect lunch.  Why not just order a couple of pizzas or a big sandwich or something?
  • Loading the player...
  • I would expect lunch.

I agree, just get some sandwiches. Not sure where you are but Big Y has 3' sandwiches on the weekends for $10. That with the fruit, maybe some chips, and cake should be more than enough.

• If you make it clear on the invite, you can do whatever you want.  "Light snack and dessert will be served."  Then everyone eats before they come. 

• imageEMT:
    I would expect lunch.  Why not just order a couple of pizzas or a big sandwich or something?

Good idea. Maybe I'll just do pizza, fruit, and cake.

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • Yes, lunch would be expected.  Order a tray of pizza and your all set.

• EMTEMT member
    You could do it earlier too if you are okay with doing pizza (12 or 12:30 maybe) if that would be better for the obligation you had later in the day.
  • I expect food at any birthday party I go to.  I am sorry, I just don't get the - I am going to get a fruit tray and cake mentality AT ALL.  I just don't.  Maybe because I have NEVER been to a child's birthday party where food wasn't served.

Cheese pizzas in any part of the country are $5-10 each for a large.  Serve hot dogs.  Serve tuna fish sandwiches.  Serve cold cuts.  Serve SOMETHING. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageak1234:

I expect food at any birthday party I go to.  I am sorry, I just don't get the - I am going to get a fruit tray and cake mentality AT ALL.  I just don't.  Maybe because I have NEVER been to a child's birthday party where food wasn't served.

Cheese pizzas in any part of the country are $5-10 each for a large.  Serve hot dogs.  Serve tuna fish sandwiches.  Serve cold cuts.  Serve SOMETHING. 

I agree with food especially if it is during lunch time and I think that any party where the guests are there during 12 until 1:30 especially needs food.  But not sure where you live but a large pizza is not $5-10 where I live.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I expect the equivalent of lunch at any party, no matter the time. At the very least, provide a couple of pizzas or sandwiches or chicken nuggets or something.
  • For a 1 pm party I would not expect lunch.  When I think of lunch, I think anytime between 11:30 and 12:30.  I have been to many 1pm parties with just cake serviced.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageLittlejen22:
    imageak1234:

I expect food at any birthday party I go to.  I am sorry, I just don't get the - I am going to get a fruit tray and cake mentality AT ALL.  I just don't.  Maybe because I have NEVER been to a child's birthday party where food wasn't served.

I agree with food especially if it is during lunch time and I think that any party where the guests are there during 12 until 1:30 especially needs food.  But not sure where you live but a large pizza is not $5-10 where I live.

Really?  My local (I live in the Washington, DC area) pizza chains (Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominos) have ALL offered a $10 any size, any topping pizza in the last year or so.  Dominos is currently running a 5.99 two topping medium (not larges, clearly), but you have to buy at least 2 pizzas...Occasionally you can find a large cheese pizza for $5...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"