D.C. Area Babies
Options

DS is here - plus post c-section question

William James (Will) was born at 8:01 Feb. 24 via a planned c-section.  We stayed at the hospital until Saturday and are so happy to have the new member of our family home safe and sound!  The procedure went as well as expected.  The c-section was definitely a necessity.  Will was oblique and was in a position that he would never have turned on his own, plus my doctor said the cord was close to his neck that she's very glad I didn't go into labor on my own.

Nursing is more challenging this time around.  I was super engorged (soo painful plus ran a fever/chills/etc.) but not a lot was coming out but now that I can pump it's much better.  I'm mainly pumping until we get to a lactation consultant so we can work on latching issues.

One thing I noticed since I've been home is feeling super bloated and carrying a lot of water weight.  I asked the nurses about this at the hospital because I wasn't very swollen during my pregnancy.  They just said it will go down but didn't give a time frame.  I made the mistake of weighing myself when I came home and it wasn't very reassuring :(  Obviously that's not my main concern but it is uncomfortable to feel this heavy, especially in my legs.  Any idea when that might start going down?

I apparently blocked out much of the crazy first survival weeks with a newborn so look for more questions from me in the future :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DS is here - plus post c-section question

• Options
    congratulations!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Congrats!  I was very swollen after both of my c-sections.  My ankles were practically immovable they were so swollen.  Just try and keep them up as much possible (I know so practical with 2 kids) and don't let them dangle from a chair or anything like that (makes it worse).  My swelling went away withing about 1.5 weeks but I had it really awful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

congratulations! post some pix!

I believe the swelling is from the extra fluids they pump into you for surgery. As pp said, try to keep your feet as elevated as possible and drink lots of fluids and pee it out as much as you can!

how is your DD adjusting?

• Options

Congratulations!

My swelling went away about 1-1.5 weeks after delivery, after I was put back into the hospital.  It's amazing how being horizontal forced into bedrest helps the swelling go down quickly :P  Whenever you sit, I'd try propping your legs up on an ottoman or another chair to keep gravity from pulling all of your fluids down to your legs.

imageimageimage
  • Options

Congratulations!

I didn't have a c-section, but I wasn't swollen until I got home.  Then I had full on cankles and general puffiness.  It got worse before it got better, but probably only lasted a week or two. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

congrats!!

i didn't have swelling after my first, which was a c/s. but i did swell after my 2nd. it lasted for a couple months. somedays my ankles were just non-existent! there is a condition called postpartum hypertension (who knew!?), so if it persists more than a week, you should be sure to contact your doctor.

good luck with little guy's latch! 

• Options
    I don't have any c-section advice, but congrats on your little boy!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations on your LO!! 
  • Options

Congrats!

I swelled some after my c/s and it went down within three weeks (I think). I do remember it went down right around the time those awful night sweats stopped!

• Options

Congratulations!! Glad you and baby are doing well!

I had the swelling as well - all through the end of my first pregnancy and after my c/s. I think some of it was due to the mass amount of IV fluids they pumped into me prior to the surgery. If I remember correctly it took about 2 weeks for them to go down - I did a lot of sweating and crying, lol. Stay off of your feet as much as you can!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congrats!! Glad to hear things went well and your home enjoying him now.  I had a ton of swelling as well and wore compression hose for a good two weeks.  It seemed to help the pain but I'm not sure if it helped the swelling go down any quicker.  Did they give you some in the hospital?  If not it's the medical compression hose.. they aren't comfortable by any means but may help some.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Congratulations!

I had a ton of swelling after my c/s.  I think it took about 3 weeks for it to finally go away.  It was awful - I couldn't really bend my ankles, and it hurt to walk around because my entire lower leg was so swollen.  Ditto Lindsey about the postpartum hypertension - just keep an eye on it and watch out for signs of high bp.  I had a high bp reading along with the swelling, but no other issues that concerned my OB, so I just had to relax as much as possible (easier said than done, right?!).  Everything eventually worked itself out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"