2nd Trimester

Anyone else been through this? :(

Hi gals,

I posted yesterday that I was having issues with a bladder infection and how frustrated I was because of all the issues in general I am having with this pregnancy! So, I figured I would put an update and of course, another concern...

Recap:  Sinus Infection:  Z-pack at 7 weeks;  Tamiflu because of being exposed to the flu  (my son) along with developing light symptoms at 11 weeks...NOW..bladder infection, doc prescribed me nitrofurantoin (generic for macrobid) - this IS class B, but still...

Has anyone else been through this before? Taking these antibiotics while pregnant?  Do you think I need to worry about all these things that I've been putting into my body even though my doctor thinks it's fine and safe?  This is POLAR opposite of my 1st preg. with my DS..I was healthy as a horse.  :( This is really bothering me. :(

Also, I have 3 days of the tamiflu left and want to just stop taking it.  DS is feeling better - much better.  I asked the nurse if I could take both together (the generic macrobid) and she said, "oh, yes."  ?  I KNOW they wouldn't prescribe me something if they didn't think it was safe..I know that.  And if this were the only thing that I have taken up to this point, I would be great with it.  I just feel like I've been pumping all sorts of meds down my throat and it bothers me. 

Advice? Wisdom?  Anyone been through an antibiotic whilrwind while preg?

THANKS SO MUCH! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else been through this? :(

• I don't think you have anything to worry about. The doctors wouldn't give you anything that is considered unsafe for you and baby.  I took the zpac last pregnancy and everything turned out fine.  I am just getting over the flu. I tested positive for the flu, and I was given tamiflu last week. However, that stuff made me feel like I was going to vomit so I quit taking it after day 2. 

I hope you feel better soon!  

• I don't have any advice but I know what you are going through. I'm sorry :( I'm on my second round of antibiotics this pregnancy (my first). The first time was for a bladder infection and the doc said it is muh worse to leave it untreated as it can cause pg complicaions. Now I have a sinus infection. When I first started feeling bad I went to my primary care and he said it's a virus and to rest. After a week I went to the ENT and he did some tests and said it was a sinus infection. I had a hard time deciding if I should take the antibiotics. I decided to take them, but I hope this is the last round. They say it's safe but I always like to be cautious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had a cold since I got pregnant and I had strep throat two weeks before my BFP. I'm almost always, like you said, healthy as a horse. I practically never get sick. I hope that this isn't a theme throughout this pregnancy! I hope you feel better soon.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • I honestly won't ever trust just the doctor for any prescription, they do make mistakes and don't know everything when it comes to the meds either. I have been given antibiotic and my allergies where double checked before the prescription was written. I  get to the pharmacy and find out its one I can't have due to my allergies. This was not the first time or the only doctor who has done this, my husband was also given meds that he should not have been given since he was on another medication the Pharmacist is the one that caught it. If you have any doubts call the Pharmacist they spend years studying medications for a reason Doctor's don't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I just went in Friday and was diagnosed with a sinus infection.  I worried about the antibiotics but was miserable and decided for them.  Normally I don't like to take anything but this pregnancy has made me feel like a pill popper.  I told her she couldn't give me anything that I couldn't take with tylenol and zantac.  I need both of these to survive and add in the stool softeners every now and then and I feel like a small medicine cabinet.  I try to limit this stuff but they keep me from dying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imagejayhawkgirl25:

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The doctors wouldn't give you anything that is considered unsafe for you and baby. 

I hope you feel better soon!  

I agree.  And (((hugs))).  I hope you get to feeling better soon!

One thing I do know about antibiotics is that once you start taking them, you need to take the entire course of them.  Otherwise, you're just contributing to the mutant antibiotic resistant strains out there.  And an antibiotic resistant strain is NOT what you want to have during pregnancy!

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Not trying to scare you, but my I got the flu and took Tamiflu when I was TTC and my doc recommended waiting a month to get pregnant, just to be safe. I'm sure you and your baby are fine, but I guess different doctors have different opinions about what medicines are safe or not. If you're worried, I'd seek a second opinion - at least for your own peace of mind. 
  • If you have a bladder infection and were prescribed an antibiotic, you should take it. You can get extremely sick from a UTI spreading. I work as an RN in an ICU, and we get uro-septic patients all the time.

and, Tamiflu isn't an antibiotic...its an anti-viral. The flu is a virus, and an antibiotic would have no effect on a virus. You won't be anymore suceptible to a antibiotic resistant strain of infection if you stop taking Tamiflu.

I hope you feel better soon!!

• The UTI is probably the only one you really need an antibiotic for, although I'm sure there are plenty of alternative remedies to try if you don't want to.  I'm very anti-drugs though, and would only take antibiotics as an absolute resort.  Since you seem comfortable taking them, I don't think one more would make a difference.  But really really think about getting some good probiotics in you to counteract the nasty effects of the antibiotics. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"