Military Families

Fort Hood Communities - what's best?

My husband's report date to Hood is 10 July. We were wondering what the best communities are? I've heard from some people Copperas Cove is great, and that from others I've heard it's awful. We are planning on buying a house there..so sound advice is really appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Fort Hood Communities - what's best?

• I would move into base housing until I got to know the different areas. What someone thinks is good may not be right for your family.
    imageimage
  • DH is opposed to base housing greatly..otherwise I would agree. Do you know if there is a wait list for housing there?

• Loading the player...
  • imageikastuart:

DH is opposed to base housing greatly..otherwise I would agree. Do you know if there is a wait list for housing there?

This. And theyll tell you theres a really long wait list for housing. As long as theirs not a unit coming home from deployment it will take less than a month to get a house. 

• Harker Heights is the best area IMO. The neighborhoods are well maintained and Target, Barnes & Nobel, and most good resurants are in that area. 

The Cove only has one road to get in and out so traffic at the start/end of the work day can be heavy.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We haven't been stationed there, but DH's family is down there and they all live in Harker Heights. Close to post and shopping, when it was a option for us, thats where we were looking at buying.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageikastuart:

DH is opposed to base housing greatly..otherwise I would agree. Do you know if there is a wait list for housing there?

Has he lived in base housing or does he just have an opinion of it?

My husband didn't want to live on base because he thought that it would be all military regulation yards and you can't do this or that. But when I got pregnant we decided it would save us money to live on base and he LOVES it here. He can sleep in during the week because there is no traffic, we feel really comfortable with raising children in such a safe environment. And our base has brand new houses and a playground and pool. Big Smile

I'm a Marine wife so I don't know anything about Ft. Hood. When we got orders I called the housing office as soon as we found out and told them we need a house, submitted the forms via email and we moved in as soon as his orders allowed us. It doesn't work like this for everyone and every base but its worth a shot.

imageimage
  • Hello, Im usually just a lurker over here, but when I saw this post I thought I could help out. My dad was Army and I spent over 10 years in that area growing up until I moved away to college and got married. Copperas Cove is a great place to live, it is smaller than some of the others, has good schools and great neighborhoods, however like a pp said there is only one way in and out of Cove so traffic can be really bad during rush hour. Harker Heights is also great and it has grown considerably in the past years. What ever you stay away from Killeen, it has the worst schools and crime rates in the area. Enjoy your stay there, it is close to alot of great stuff and Austin is only 45min away!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I lived in Copperas Cove and Harker Heights and I greatly preferred HH. There are some decent areas in CC, but they're on the far side of town so in addition to the traffic going into town, then you have to drive all the way through it as well. 

Killeen actually has tons of very nice, new housing areas. The most important thing to remember though, is to stay south of 190. I would never consider living anywhere north of the highway. Stay south and you'll be fine. 

• We are in Killeen. There are some nice areas, you just have to drive around a bit to find them. I personally love our little subdivision that is close to post and is very nice. I lived in Copperas Cove prior to deployment, and didn't like the long drive each day. If your husband wants to go home after PT daily to shower/change, living in Copperas Cove it out. It will be harder to go home daily after PT living in Harker Heights too, but it is still doable. Harker Heights has the better shopping/eating places. My biggest piece of advice- live south of highway 190. When looking at housing, if it is north of 190, don't waste your time.

Check militarybyowner.com for houses, there are many listings for this area. If you want something short term to figure out the area prior to buying, I can recommend Clear Creek Apartments in Copperas Cove as I lived there for 2 years and have nothing but great things to say about them. I haven't heard the best about the apartments in Killeen.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here's the apartment community I recommend: https://www.clearcreekmeadow.com/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecandiland2003:

Harker Heights is the best area IMO. The neighborhoods are well maintained and Target, Barnes & Nobel, and most good resurants are in that area. 

The Cove only has one road to get in and out so traffic at the start/end of the work day can be heavy.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Lurker here but I completely agree with this. HH is typically more expensive, but if you can afford it, it's worth it!

Whip mah hurr Pictures, Images and Photos

Trying to get sperminated since February 2010

Mar-May 2011: 3 Cycles IUI + Clomid = BFN Jan 2012: Injectables + TI = ?? image

My Cooking (and More) Blog
  • We are now out of the army, but lived there from 2002 to 2009. We lived in apartments on Trimmier Road (Stonegate apartments) for 3 months before we decided where to rent. They were very nice apartments. After that, we rented a duplex near Clear Creek road (but I think that is a very busy area now). Then we finally got on post housing, definitely old and nasty near the main gate. We lived there for a year and bought a house. If your husband likes a life separated from the military feel, I would recommend the Belton, Texas area. We bought our house in Belton (Morgan's point resort area) off of FM 2271 and it was very close to lake Belton. There is a back way to get onto Fort Hood from FM 439. It's a differant lifestyle than being in Harker Heights or Cove, and the school district in Belton is very good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"