High-Risk Pregnancy

GD Fasting # issue

Hi Ladies,

I don't meet with a dietician until tomorrow, but I am just wondering why my fasting number has been a steady 105-109...  I am able to keep all my other #'s completely normal, but lo and behold, every morning my number is high.  I have tried cheese, nuts, sugar free pudding...

I am also nervous that the dietician will tell me to lower my carb intake to 45 instead of 60 with lunch and dinner, even though I have been fully capable of keeping to those #'s.  This is hard cause I am so freaking hungry from this diet, and then I get nauseous since I have to wait 2 hours to test.

GRRR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD Fasting # issue

• Congrats on keeping your meal numbers normal! I would think that if your post-meal numbers are good, your dietitian would leave your carb counts alone.

I hear you on being hungry - I've had to deal with GD for two entire pregnancies (OB thinks it's Type 2 undiagnosed), so I'm looking forward to a big, fat turkey sandwich from Panera, followed by a DQ blizzard. Just remind yourself that it's temporary!

I have never been able to lower my morning fasting numbers, and I'm told that aside from trying high-protein snacks at night (which you mentioned you already tried), there's not much you can do beside medication. I've been on insulin for fasting numbers since I was 5 weeks pregnant (9 weeks last time). Some doctors will allow oral medication, mine will not. Either way, medication is not the end of the world, and again, it's temporary!

• There is something called the dawn phenomenon that causes blood sugar to rise around 5 AM which can make fasting numbers hard to control no matter what your snack was. I'm betting your dietitian will give you guidelines for your bedtime snack and if they don't help you may end up needing insulin or meds. I did insulin from week 29 on last time, it wasn't fun but it worked and kept me and D healthy.

Also, tell your dietitian if you're hungry when following the diet. That was one of the first questions mine asked when we had our weekly meetings - are you too hungry or too full or just right? If I was too hungry she would let me add extra protein, like a string cheese or handful of nuts, or point me to the "free foods" that would have no impact on my BS numbers.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • SAME issue here. Went to the doctor this morning and they prescribed me a pill (vs. insulin) to try and get my morning number lower.
  • They did mention a pill first, so I hope that isn't so bad.  Either way I have about 1.5 weeks-2 weeks to get my fasting # down.

• I  had only high #'s in the am. so my doc gave me 2.5 of glyberide.

It's gotten me below 90 everyday now.

GL

• Eating a protein snack in the middle of the night has helped my morning numbers. Literally, I wake up to pee around 2, 3am and have some cheese.  That way you're not going too long in between meals.  It's still considered fasting, it was my OB and dietician that recommended this.  I especially do this on days I know I'll be sleeping in.  On work days, usually my 10pm snack works.
  • imagepaulaDPT:
    Eating a protein snack in the middle of the night has helped my morning numbers. Literally, I wake up to pee around 2, 3am and have some cheese.  That way you're not going too long in between meals.  It's still considered fasting, it was my OB and dietician that recommended this.  I especially do this on days I know I'll be sleeping in.  On work days, usually my 10pm snack works.

You would think I should know this considering I came into my pregnancy pre-diabetic.  How is it that eating a snack in the middle of the night helps lower your numbers, I would have guessed it would do the opposite.  Thanks a million for any info!

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • imageMrsPBNJ0220:

imagepaulaDPT:
    Eating a protein snack in the middle of the night has helped my morning numbers. Literally, I wake up to pee around 2, 3am and have some cheese.  That way you're not going too long in between meals.  It's still considered fasting, it was my OB and dietician that recommended this.  I especially do this on days I know I'll be sleeping in.  On work days, usually my 10pm snack works.

You would think I should know this considering I came into my pregnancy pre-diabetic.  How is it that eating a snack in the middle of the night helps lower your numbers, I would have guessed it would do the opposite.  Thanks a million for any info!

I don't really understand the science of it, but if you go too long without eating, your liver starts manufacturing sugar.  That's why it's important to eat a snack before going to bed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If all your meal numbers are within range I think that they will keep your diet and carb count the same.

No matter what I tried I could not lower my fasting numbers. I have been on Insulin at bedtime only since 21wks. It's sucks, but now it's just part of my routine and I don't even think about it anymore. Like others have said too, it's temporary!

Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageKerry 0916:
    imageMrsPBNJ0220:

imagepaulaDPT:

I don't really understand the science of it, but if you go too long without eating, your liver starts manufacturing sugar.  That's why it's important to eat a snack before going to bed. 

Wow I never knew that.  Thank you so much for the information.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • imagehispenguin:

If all your meal numbers are within range I think that they will keep your diet and carb count the same.

No matter what I tried I could not lower my fasting numbers. I have been on Insulin at bedtime only since 21wks. It's sucks, but now it's just part of my routine and I don't even think about it anymore. Like others have said too, it's temporary!

Good luck!

Ditto. I've been on insulin for a month now and each week as the placenta grows, my tolerance to insulin gets worse. I started at 10 ml, and now I am on 65ml. There is really nothing I can do at this point. I eat a very large no carb snack at night and I still get high numbers. I even tried a 2 am hard boiled eggs and that didn't do anything. The only thing that works is the insulin.

It sucks big time. I am miserable and I have bruises all over my belly because of the insulin. I also have to take insulin for lunch and dinner because even 1 piece of soy/fiber toast (15 grams of carbs) without insulin would cause my blood sugar to spike. I know it's temporary, but it does suck and really limit what a person can eat.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"