Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I think Ferber may be a genius!

I just wanted to relay my recent experience with sleep training my DS.  I know CIO isn't for everyone (and I definitely thought I was in this camp) but it has worked so well! 

We started with Ferber (progressive waiting) last week for bedtime and naps and eliminated his paci at the same time.  The first day he cried right up to the 30 minute nap limit and then put himself to sleep twice that day!  He had never put himself to sleep before so I was very impressed.   That night he again cried for 30 minutes and then went to sleep on his own.

This is a child who was always rocked and more recently, walked, to sleep.  Had to have his paci.  Often cried even when being "soothed" to sleep.  He slept for no more than 30 minutes for naps and always woke 30 mins after going to sleep at night.  He has now had quite a few long (2-3 hour) naps this past week and even slept 12 straight hours one night!  At most he has been up once per night (down from 2-4 times per night).

Just wanted to let everyone know that is wasn't that bad at all to do Ferber (although I would recommend buying the book) and it does actually work.

That is all ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I think Ferber may be a genius!

• I've actually been reading a lot about it, and I think once Cohen is old enough, I will be trying it out. I always said I would never let him even cry five minutes without me picking him up and soothing him, but unless things change in the next couple months, I think I will give it a go. He needs the pac, he needs to be rocked, and even putting him down drowsy but awake has usually failed (a few successes, but he wakes up after 20 minutes so does it really count?)

Congrats on the sleep! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagexxcaityx:

I've actually been reading a lot about it, and I think once Cohen is old enough, I will be trying it out. I always said I would never let him even cry five minutes without me picking him up and soothing him, but unless things change in the next couple months, I think I will give it a go. He needs the pac, he needs to be rocked, and even putting him down drowsy but awake has usually failed (a few successes, but he wakes up after 20 minutes so does it really count?)

Congrats on the sleep! :)

Thanks!  Sounds very much like my DS.  Never once did "awake but drowsy" work with him (and trust me, I tried).  I figure all you can do is try it out, right? 

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Glad you had success! I have to admit, I'm anxious to try this when DS is old enough. He will only nap for more than 20-30 minutes on me. I love snuggling with him but it would be nice to be able to have a little time to myself to get stuff done during the day!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We also had alot of success with Ferber. I know alot of people are anti-ferber but it does work wonderfully.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Isn't it liberating? That book changed my life and feel it is better for the whole family. We used it to eliminate the paci and it is wonderful. I can put him to bed a wake and he goes right to sleep w/o crying. Once the initial pain of crying the first few nights it's wonderful!! Ferber is a genius!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageholn76:
    Isn't it liberating? That book changed my life and feel it is better for the whole family. We used it to eliminate the paci and it is wonderful. I can put him to bed a wake and he goes right to sleep w/o crying. Once the initial pain of crying the first few nights it's wonderful!! Ferber is a genius!

Liberating is exactly the right word!  I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me.  Before I used to try and try and try to get him to sleep with little success and I always felt like a failure.  Now it is up to him to get himself to sleep and he does!  It is truly amazing to me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"