Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

need advice--two year old class behavior

Ok, so my very active 2 year old DS goes to a few classes a week with his nanny (and one very cute 2 year old soccer class on Saturdays with us) to break up the week and make sure he interacts with other kids, etc.  He's been doing this since 6 months old and has always been pretty well-behaved in class.  Over the last few months, however, his interest in listening and class structure  has really waned.  He will do something for a few minutes and then try to wander off if he isn't into it, or in soccer he decides to take off in a new direction so that I or one of the coaches will have to chase him.  He seems to be having a blast, but whoever is taking him ends up exhausted and frustrated.  I would think this was totally normal, except that it seems like the other kids in his class have less trouble sitting and listening in structured settings.  Is this just a phase?  is there some technique I've missed here?  He is very well behaved at home and in small playgroups and is always polite in all settings (hugs teachers, says thank you, etc., shares), but this newfound desire to express himself keeps showing up when he gets to class.  Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just wait it out?  

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: need advice--two year old class behavior

• Options

we have the SAME problem!  been going to these classes forever but now she's the "bad kid" who won't sit down for the storytime portion of class and it's embarrassing!  my DD was never great about sitting, she's very antsy and always has been, but i used to get a few mins here and there. now it NEVER EVER happens even for a minute. :(   i hope it's just a phase, i keep bringing her to class cuz i think eventually she'll get it, but it's really frustrating now and i am sure other parents are looking at me. 

so sorry, i have no answers, but at least we are not alone!

• Options

I know its frustrating but I think it's normal.  I take DS to a gym class for 2-3 yr olds every monday and honestly it's hit or miss with how he behaves.  But it's that way for ALL the kids, I think you just notice more when it's yours!  

Some weeks certain kids follow directions really well, and then the next week are off in the corner trying to play with basketballs when they are supposed to be on the balance beam.  My kid is no exception!  I know with my DS, he doesn't want to be disobedient, it's just that he sees something else that he just HAS to explore, or touch, or throw, or jump on, etc.  He can't really control that urge very well yet.  We had a particularly rough day yesterday with him listening, and later that night he told my DH 'my no listen so well at gym class' and he was very sad about it!   So that makes me think that he definitely gets the concept, and knew he didn't do a very good job of it that day.  Which is fine, he'll learn, he's only 2.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DS started acting like that in his young Two's classroom and the teachers suggested that he move up to the older Two's classroom. They said that he was just bored and actually needed more structure.

Perhaps you can find other programs for him with more structure?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's normal.

DD goes to preschool, and her teacher explained to me that at this age they organize group activities, but they don't expect or force any child to participate at any given time.

She said at age 2 they just don't fully comprehend those sorts of ideas yet, and are more likely to participate if they can join as they wish, then if they are forced to (not the activity as a whole, but for each specific item - if that makes sense).

She said it's really common for during the group activities for there to be one or two children away from the group doing their own thing. Sometimes they are mimicking what the group is doing, just don't want to be in the group at that moment. Other times they are doing their own thing and just don't seem to be interested in that activity at all, but might join that activity on another day.

Never thought about it before, but maybe this is why most classes (at least around here), don't start until age 3?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"