2nd Trimester
Options

root canal

I am getting one Thursday. If I wasn't pregnant I would not be as nervous. Has anyone had one while pregnant?

Re: root canal

• Options

Torture.  I hate the dentist.

Be thankful you are not in first tri bc they can't use the good meds.  I jumped out of the seat a few times and it took over 3 hrs when I was 7 weeks.  Hopefully they can give you Novocain...I was blessed with some crap that did virtually nothing...

• Options
    I had one recently and it was not very pleasant unfortunately.  Even in your 2nd tri the dentist cannot give you the anesthetic everyone else gets.  Don't be afraid to ask them to give you more pain medication throughout the procedure.  I had to ask for more several times and they were always understanding about it.  The medication I was given wore off much quicker than the good stuff.  If I felt the slightest bit of anything I asked for more medication.  Good luck and I hope your procedure is as painless as possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yup i had one at 23 weeks along... had a absess tooth. refused it but ob said it was best for me and baby to get the pain stopped and clear up the infection... after the procedure felt 100% better
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had one in my first tri.  It wasn't horrible-not comfortable-but not painful.  They gave me an antibiotic to prevent infection and gave me an rx of tylenol with codein-which I only took when it was really bad-both the novicane, antibiotic and pain meds were approved by my ob
    TTC #1 since November 2007 Dx-Unexplained Infertility 10/08 Clomid and TI #1=BFN 11/08 Clomid and TI#2=BFP...Twins, MC due to ectopic 5/09 Clomid and TI#3=BFN 6/09 IUI and clomid #1=BFN 8/09 Lap=No Endo 10/09 IUI + Repronex + Pregnyl = BFN 09/10 IVF #1. Repronex, ganorelix and pregnyl=BFP!! Beta #1 10/1/10 450 Beta #2 10/7/10 over 5,000 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My dentist absolutely refuses to do anything with my mouth besides a cleaning while pregnant unless I have written consent from my OB. Any procedure done in the mouth can result in an infection, which can cause a miscarriage at any point during pregnancy. I had the most awful toothache and my OB was on Vacay and my dentist would'nt do anything until I got her consent that the benefits outweighed the risks. Good luck I will keep you in my T&P :)
    Photobucket Corrine & Jason
  • Options

I had my root canal without any pain, no freezing or anything. The tooth was already dead as they put it. The only problem was sitting in that chair trying to breath and not drown. I can't breath through my nose at all.

Thursday I get to have that same tooth removed it broke back in Sept, and its been infected 3 times since. The first surgeon wouldn't touch me while pregnant but the second one will. I get to stay awake for this no sleeping through it, so I can really sympathize with you. Hope the two of us can make it through with as little discomfort as possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

I had worse than a root canal, At 16 weeks I had 7 teeth pulled and a partial put in! The shots they gave me were the WORSE PAIN EVER! You can get your doc to give you a form to give your dentist that has the recommended and non-recommended medicine before and after. I'm still in pain and this was Thursday..

They gave me Loratab which I didn't think you should take while pregnant, but he knew I was pregnant....It messes me up so I'm wondering the effect on the baby.

-Also I NEVER thought you could get any major mouth procedure while pregnant, but my Dentist said it's actually the best thing for you and your baby!!

• Options

I just had one.

It wasn't that bad. 

OB said it's important to get those things done because my oral health plays a big factor in the baby's health. 

• Options
    I had one, it hurt but it was fine with the numbing shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"