Cincinnati Babies
Options

Parents fret way too much over fevers: report

Re: Parents fret way too much over fevers: report

• Options

I agree. 

Except when Jack gets a fever, then I flip the eff out.

But with the other 2 I try to remind myself that a fever is a sign that the body is doing it's job and I don't medicate to reduce the fever unless it gets too high or child is in obvious pain.

• Options

Thanks for posting this. I was gonna make a freak out post because I'm dealing with my first real fever in my 6.5 years of parenting.

I'm going to make DD read it since she's become obsessed with making me check her temperature lately even though she's perfectly healthy. Stick out tongue

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's generally true that parents probably freak out too much over a fever.  But, as the article points out, fevers are generally accompanied by other symptoms, such as general whininess or fussiness, and a host of other annoying things.  I hate for my kids to feel bad, so I will for sure try to get to the bottom of a fever, however innocuous it may be.  My kids are prone to ear and sinus troubles that make them positively miserable, so I don't believe in ignoring their fevers.

I think as parents of newborns, it was hammered into our heads to be alert for the slightest elevation in temperature -- 100.4 for the first 3 months, so it's tough to let go of that.  I think it's only as children get older and of an age where they want to get more attention or maybe stay home from school and try to fake illness, that I will be more inclined to not freak out.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options

I agree.  A fever is actually a good thing, as it's a sign that the body is fighting off the illness.  Often my kids will have a fever and still eat, play, etc. like nothing is wrong.  In this case, I let it go and let the body do its job.  However, if they are clearly miserable and in pain, I give them medicine and space it as much as I can.  The fever itself is not the part that worries me though.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options
    imagesistrkate:

My kids are prone to ear and sinus troubles that make them positively miserable, so I don't believe in ignoring their fevers.

This exactly.  The first year of his life that was the ONLY way we knew he had an ear infection.  He would slow down and get a slight fever. Now though I don't freak out too much.  :)

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesistrkate:

My kids are prone to ear and sinus troubles that make them positively miserable, so I don't believe in ignoring their fevers.

Mine too, and I will medicate when they are miserable, but only then.  That fever means that the body is working to kick the illness to the curb, so supressing isn't a good thing.  I don't really think the article is saying to ignore fevers that cause pain and are accompanied by other symptoms, but rather that treating them unnecessarily (i.e. a fever that isn't causing any pain/discomfort) doesn't really help to get rid of the illness. 

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options

I agree as well.  That being said, we did call the pedi after hours one night when B's fever reached 101 (highest ever) and was on day 8 of diarrhea and a pretty ugly cough/runny nose.  He'd been fever free with the diarrhea up to that point.   Pedi gave me the same lecture that's in the article...  but I needed to hear it, and coupled with the other symptoms (especially 8 days of disgusting poos) was enough to warrant the call. 

• Options
    i have one kid that doesn't just get a fever...no no. hers will start at 102 and hit 104.8 before you can even blink an eye. her fevers scare the bejezus out of me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"