Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Ways to save money....

I"m a teacher and found out today that my job will be reduced from full time to 60%.  The job market pretty much sucks around here...and we can't move...so I'm staying (luckily I love my school) where I am and hoping that one of the other teachers in my department retires (we're a dept. of 3 and both are at retirement age...just not feeling like they're ready to retire...ugh!). 

Anyway...as a result, our little family needs to save money in preparation for next year.  What are some creative ways that you have saved money?  We're planning on getting rid of our house phone and cable....

Thanks in advance

Re: Ways to save money....

• Options
    Clip coupons!!!
    I support fellow bumpie's Etsy site. Check it out! wpaperco.etsy.com

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Couponing, reducing internet speed, lowering minutes/ plan for our cell phones.  Moving to a family plan on our cell phones, using heater/ a/c less, meal planning and packing lunch, paying a whole month in advance to save 3% on daycare costs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If you don't already, make a shopping list based on scouring the weekly grocery store ads in the paper. Its worth it to go to multiple stores to save $$.

Turn your heat way down at night. That can honestly save you a bundle.

Wash your clothes in cold water. Unless you cd, it doesn't really make that much of a difference in the cleanliness of your clothes, but can def. help

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Call your cable company and see if they can do anything to reduce your bill. We do this and actually end up getting more. Coupons, try store brand items. I save about $20-30/ week with coupons & generic. Can you LO go part time at daycare since you are losing hours?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

One of the girls I work with uses a bunch of the money saving/coupon blogs and she's always talking about the great deals that she gets. I'm planning on using some of the sites as well after talking to her.

I went down to part-time after having DD and we stopped eating out, I make my grocery lists based on the sales/coupons I have, and I really try to think about my purchases before making them. We have always disliked spending money anyway, so it wasn't hard for us :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Instead of having cable we stream Netflix on our TVs which is part of our $10 per month membership.  It saves us a bundle!

We buy diapers and wipes on Amazon.  With an Amazon Mom membership and promotional codes I can get diapers for at least 50% off plus shipping is free.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We started buying generic.  A lot of things are just as good and actually have higher quanities for a lower price.

Buy in bulk.  It is a higher cost up front, by cheaper in the long run.

We called our cable company to cancel service and they lowered our bill $60/month and gave us a premium channel.

Bring lunch to work and cook dinner at home.

I am not very good with coupons, but I don't buy diapers or wipes without one.

We do not have internet on our phones.

DH was unemployed for 2 years so I got really good at asking myself "do I NEED this item?"  Most of the time I didn't.

ETA: 

Heat gets turned down at night and when we are not home.

We put bricks in the toilet tanks to use less water and turn off the faucet when we brush.

We wash in cold water (except sheets) and only do laundry one day a week.  We also only try to run the dishwasher once a week.

Look into your home owners and car insurance.  Can you get a better price elsewhere?  We did this 2 years ago.  We switched companies and added life insurance and saved $800/year.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

This site gives a lot of good guidance

couponmom.com

42 yrs old. DS born 4/10/11 after 2 losses TTC # 2 for a year AMH .3. FSH 7 AFC 6 Doing a CLOMID IUI cycle
  • Options
    Along with all the other great advise of PPs, switch to vinegar for just about everything, it is so cheap.  I use it for cleaning all of our wood, glass cleaner, even in place of fabric softener (and it works better than Downy).  There are a ton of vinegar recipe websites.
  • Options

imagecotner:
    Along with all the other great advise of PPs, switch to vinegar for just about everything, it is so cheap.  I use it for cleaning all of our wood, glass cleaner, even in place of fabric softener (and it works better than Downy).  There are a ton of vinegar recipe websites.

Just wanted to add on to this...you can also buy a few little bottles of essential oils for $3-12 a piece and they last you forever! You mix 50/50 vinegar& water, and a few drops of essential oils into a spray bottle and you have homemade antibacterial/disinfecting spray. Sooooooooo much cheaper then buying cleaners! You can also use borax and baking soda to clean pretty much everything in your house, just as well as any store-bought pre-made expensive cleaner. I'm just learning more about this stuff so I won't go into details, but there is a ton of info/books out there if you google :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    oh, PP response reminded me of something... You're a teacher, you can tutor privately! Do you have your graduate degree? One of my grad. professors told us that w/ our MAT, we could easily charge $50/hour in our area (MAT in Reading and Language Arts). Not a bad deal ;)
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

Eat more vegetarian meals.  Beans, eggs, tofu, etc. are super cheap sources of protein.

Plan your meals so you use up your ingredients and waste less food.

Cut back on eating out.  If you do eat out, breakfast and lunch are usually cheaper than dinner.

• Options

I'm a teacher also, and went to a .7 (70%) position after DD1 was born.  I found several ways to save money, and we actually have way more now in the bank than we did before.

1.  Coupons, and grocery shopping with a list.  I save more than the equivalent of a paycheck a year with coupons.  

2.  I give piano lessons.  I have 3 students and charge $60/hour, so that pays for DC.  You could tutor which is great money. 

3.  Because I am part time, I was able to arrange my schedule to be there 3 full days a week. The girls are only in DC 2 days a week and my inlaws watch them the other day.  That is a HUGE cost savings. 

4.   We cloth diaper which is a big savings. 

5.  I called to cut cable, and they gave us a huge discount instead.

6.  I changed our energy plan to time of use.  This cut our biggest bill by about 10%.  We are looking into solar in May to reduce it even further. 

7. DH started riding his bike to work.  This saves money on gas and car insurance, and is great for DH. 

8.  We live 1/2 mile from hell, so I dry most of our cloths outside on the line.  Even though our dryer is gas, this saved about $200/yr.  

9.  I changed our car insurance, and bundled with our home insurance.  

Good luck.  I know it is scary.  Mine was by choice, but it was still a scary step.  It has been the best thing.  I still get adult time, doing what I love, but I get a 4 day weekend, and more time with my babies. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Call your cell & cable company. A lot of times the offer you see online is high. Most will work with you to keep you as a customer. 

I shop at consignment stores for DD's clothes & also just signed up for thredup.com. It's a site where you can exchange clothes & toys.

Coupons, lists made w/ weekly flyer saves too. I've been known to go to 3 different groceries stores because of different offers.

One week a month we just eat whats in the pantry. Only buy the essentials like milk, eggs, butter & bread.

Shop at Aldi if you have one. I save on average $30 a week in groceries shopping there. The products are just as good as any name brand or store brand.  

While you are working full time now put away the difference you won't be making next school year in savings. You'll have a cushion to fall back on if you need it.

Good luck.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"