Attachment Parenting

Tips/articles for family support/education about breastfeeding?

As I just posted below, my BFF just had her baby girl yesterday, and she is breastfeeding. She has a great start, and baby is doing great too. Unfortunately her mom is not a big supporter of breastfeeding and keeps making comments about giving her a bottle of formula (because she seems "hungry" or because she didn't "nurse enough"). My friend is doing all the right things- frequent feedings (that are long enough), skin-to-skin with baby, etc., and baby has well surpassed the recommended number of wet & soiled diapers both today ad yesterday. There is no reason at all to do anything differently (feeding wise). My friend knows she is doing all the right things, but she needs help dealing with her mom. Not only does she just want her moms support, but her mom is going to be watching the baby full time when she goes back to work. She is afraid that she will sneak her formula when she is at work. I told her that she is doing all the right stuff for her breastfeeding relationship and not to doubt herself or fall into her moms pleas to give formula, and that she needs to tell her mom that she understands not many people breastfed in her day of mothering but we now know how much better it is, and she is committed to doing it, and that she needs her mother to put aside her beliefs and just be supportive. In addition, I am willing to bet there are some good summary documents available to give to family members as sort of a "how to" on supporting someone who is breastfeeding. Can anyone help me out here? She is Chinese, so I am looking for something that is short enough to be translates easy (or something available in multiple languages!). Thanks so much ladies. In the meantime, I will continue my google and Kellymom search : )
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
IMG_0173.11
Trying for #2 since July 2010
BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tips/articles for family support/education about breastfeeding?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"