Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

I'm terrified (NTR) - T&P please

This morning, MH had a third episode of what I can only describe as "bizarre behavior."  A few weeks ago, he had a grand mal seizure at work and spent 24 hours in the hospital only to be told it was most likely caused by a drastic dip in blood sugar (he is Type 1 diabetic).  Since then, these three episodes have occurred where he just doesn't make sense, says things that don't make sense, chews on his bottom lip; he even got unexpectedly very angry - like just flew completely off the handle - during one (for no reason).  He doesn't remember what he says or did after the fact.  All three have occurred right after waking in the morning.  He has a dr. appt tomorrow and will hopefully get a neurologist referral.  I know Dr. Google is bad in these situations but based on what I'm reading, I think he could have epilepsy.  That means they'll pull his driver's license... and more medication on top of his insulin.  How is he going to get to work?  How will meds affect his diabetes?  What if my boys get one or both of his illnesses?  We are in the process of moving to a real house and shortselling the condo I bought prior to us being together so I'm getting ready to tank my credit as it is.  I just don't know how much I can take here.  Any T&P you could spare for our family would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm terrified (NTR) - T&P please

• Options

Wow - yikes!  I have nothing helpful here, but I would stay away from Dr. Google for now.  I hope you have some answers soon.  Hugs!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hugs, and step away from dr google!
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this--how scary!!!!

Has he had his thyroid checked?  My uncle had some weird stuff like that and it ends up his thyroid was waaaaaaayyyy out of wack--meds fixed it. 

Please keep up posted and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Options
    I'm sorry, that is very scary! I hope you get it straightened out soon.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow, that is really scary.  I'm so sorry you are going through that.  I hope your Dr gets you a referral quickly.  Maybe keep a camera/video camera in your bedroom to capture the strange episodes on video to show the Drs. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Very scary.  Hang in there and don't worry about all the what if's until you have a diagnosis.  My roommate from college has epilipsy and she lead a very full life, even driving.  Hang in there and good luck! Keep us posted. (((HUGS))))
  • Options
    Definitely step away from Dr. Google and try to relax until his appt.  My mom has epilepsy---has since she was a teenager and has been driving her whole life.  Wait and see what he says and what course of action to take.  GL!
  • Options
    I really don't know that much about diabetes, but it sounds like what happens when the blood sugar gets too low.  I happened to my MIL, she also has type 1 diabetes.  She got confused and angry.  Hopefully that's all it is and you don't have to worry about epilepsy. 
  • Options
    I hope you get some answers and that all turns out well. Big hugs.
  • Options

T&P for you and your family.  

ETA: removed some text

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

My DH is a type 1 as well and he has had seizures (plus everything you described)  in the past due because the insulin he was using just wasn't working right for him.  Now he is taking a combo of Lantus and Humalog  and the seizures (knock on wood) plus mood swings have disappear.  Step away from Dr. Google.  It sounds like to me they might just need to reevaluate his insulin

BTW - most DH problems happened  happened in the morning and that is why he is on Lantus. 

ps anger and low blood sugar go hand in hand

• Options

imageCytina:
    A few weeks ago, he had a grand mal seizure at work and spent 24 hours in the hospital only to be told it was most likely caused by a drastic dip in blood sugar (he is Type 1 diabetic).  ..  I know Dr. Google is bad in these situations but based on what I'm reading, I think he could have epilepsy.  That means they'll pull his driver's license... and more medication on top of his insulin.  How is he going to get to work? 

This varies by state, but often it's the actual seizure that calls for the pulling of the license, not a diagnosis of epilepsy.  When DH had a seizure out of the blue (no underlying health problems) he was restricted from driving for 3 months (if he had another seizure, the clock would have reset).  We do not live in FL, so I don't know what your requirements are there.  DH does not have epilepsy, just an abnormal EEG showing a forced seizure condition.  Is your DH on anti seizure meds?  While DH adjusted to his there were some very intense mood swings and weirdo behavior.  If so, that could explain the episodes.  But in any case-make sure you are on the right side of the law re: the driving thing currently.

• Options
    imageCynthia7461:

My DH is a type 1 as well and he has had seizures (plus everything you described)  in the past due because the insulin he was using just wasn't working right for him.  Now he is taking a combo of Lantus and Humalog  and the seizures (knock on wood) plus mood swings have disappear.  Step away from Dr. Google.  It sounds like to me they might just need to reevaluate his insulin

BTW - most DH problems happened  happened in the morning and that is why he is on Lantus. 

ps anger and low blood sugar go hand in hand

Interesting... Lantus and Humalog is exactly what MH takes!  He's been on those for a couple of years now.  Initially they attributed the grand mal seizure to low blood sugar even though when the paramedics arrived his sugar was over 200.  That said, it definitely still could be his diabetes for sure.  I use Google to prepare myself mentally for worst case scenario and get a general idea of different things it could be.  I also think he could have a sleep disorder of some kind.  So many variables.  He goes to the doctor today and he's insisting on the neuro consult.  Also he meets with a new endocrinologist within the next 2 weeks - that was scheduled after his seizure a few weeks back.  Hopefully we'll get some answers and it will be something fixable/manageable. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"