September 2011 Moms
Options

I don't want to gain weight

I am really trying hard to be good, and I know that I am going to put on weight - it's a fact of life, but I am getting married in June and don't want to look swollen and hideous in my wedding photos. My doctor only wants me to gain about 18 pounds since I am already overweight.  I have gained about 4 in my first trimester.

My fiance and I joined a gym, but I am so tired at night.  I have started doing yoga stretches and some hand weights at the office. 

I hope to enrich my diet more with fruits, veggies, calcium, lean proteins, and grains, but it is so hard - the queso and chips, fast food, and all of the other "comfort foods" seem to be what I crave.

Anyone have any tips for keeping my weight in check?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I don't want to gain weight

• Options
    I am in the same boat.  I have gained about 3 lbs and am not pleased.  My mw said that though 1st tri not to focus too much on food - whatever sounds good and stays down is fine, and that will mostly be carbs.  I also am having a really hard time motivating myself to get to the gym, but know that once 2nd tri hits that I'll have more energy and fewer food issues.  Try not to worry too much about it and get in good food as often as you can.  Keep lots of healthy snacks around - fruit, cut up veggies, edamame, greek yogurt, etc.  I also really like those Special K crackers with a wedge of light Laughing Cow cheese.
  • Options

Keeping those cravings in check (eat little amounts - keep full meals for healthy foods!) and keep moving.  I know it is especially hard in the first trimester, but once your energy returns get out and moving!  Even just going for a walk every day can make a huge difference.

From there - there isn't much you can do.  Everybody's body does pregnancy differently ... you can only do what you can do!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

fruits aren't as good for you as you think. the sugars won't help you keep off weight. they're definitely a GREAT alternative when you're craving chocolate or other sweets but they will make you gain also (not as much as sweets but still a little).

In my last pregnancy, I gained 3 lbs in the first 20 weeks.....and almost 40 pounds overall. So this time I bought a bathroom scales and a notebook and I record my weight and what I eat every day so way if my weight starts to rise quickly I can look and see what I am doing to make it happen. Last time I didn't pay attention to anything and just did what I wanted.

• Options

Your baby and your body will tell you how much weight to gain, when you need to eat and when you should exercise.  I've gained 1.5 lbs and I eat ALL the time... but let me tell you how I've been maintaining a healthy lifestyle:

*Eating lots of salads... the fiber keeps you full and I usually put nuts and chicken on it to get lots of lean protein! Plus if you keep the dressing healthy, you don't have to feel bad eating a HUGE salad or being hungry 40 minutes later.

*When I have a bad craving.... like sweets or hamburgers, I eat them for breakfast... I know that sounds crazy but if you think about it, you have ALL day to burn it off. Even if you don't exercise, you spend your day walking around and burning energy by making that babe!

*Walk Walk Walk... don't start a gym, you'll burn yourself out.  If I feel a bout of energy, I take a walk... but don't get crazy and get walking shoes on and work out clothes... when you feel the spurt of energy, just put shoes on, walk out the door and walk around the block, or down the street and back.  Even if you do this once a day it's great for you, it gets your circulation going! I have a dog, so it's fun for me to go on a little walk around the neighborhood a few times a day.... she really enjoys it. 

{May Siggy Challenge}
    Favorite TV mom: Janelle's Mom

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Flor Maria
  • Options

I work full time so I pack healthy food with me, sometimes I don't eat it all, but I have options. I also eat at least 6 times per day. Some things sound gross to me that I used to eat a lot of like a salad with chicken so I pack lean cuisines, which is better than fast food. I find myself liking carbs more and those making me feel not sick, so I eat things like chocolate cheerios and kashi crackers.

I am trying not to worry about weight and just eat healthy and walk/exercise.  I probably eat more carbs now, but I think that is fine. It is probably more like what I should be eating.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options
    I take tons of food to work and figure if I have healthy sweet and healthy salty options with varying flavors and textures I won't be as tempted with fast food or junk food. (holy run on sentence!) It works though! Just do your best and hey, if you absolutely HATE your wedding pictures (which I really doubt you will) just plan to take some gorgeous family and couple pictures after your LO is born and you lose the baby weight.
  • Options

Don't keep a lot of unhealthy food in the house or with you at work. I have virtually no "bad" food at either place so if I want something unhealthy it isn't convenient and I always end up satisfied with a healthy alternative. Also keep snacks in your purse. I keep a couple granola bars, almonds, and a piece of fruit with me at all times. Also, if you just ate and still feel hungry you could just be thirsty. Drink a glass of water and see if that helps. The biggest meal of the day for me is breakfast, then lunch, and smallest is dinner. I eat about 5 snacks a day in addition to those meals and have gained 1 lbs so far so it must be working to keep baby fed but extra weight gain off.

Also, as Lupe said, get exercise whenever you feel the burst of energy. Every little bit helps.

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"