May 2011 Moms
Options

Glucose Test

So, I failed the one hour glucose test and I have to go back for the three hour test this week. 

What happens if I fail the three hour test?  What does that mean?  Is it something I did that caused this?  (I am sure the chocolate I have almost every night after dinner doesn't help). 

Is anyone else feeling anxious about this.  I feel like I am harming my baby? 

(OR am I being a complete crazy, over-reacting pregnant woman?)

Re: Glucose Test

• Options

First of all - bummer you failed! I did too!  

If you fail the 3 hour test, you'll likely be diagnosed with gestational diabetes and you'll be given nutritional guidelines to follow (and I believe you have to test your blood sugar a few times a day).  Just so you know, there's likely NOTHING you did to cause this (at least that's what my OB told me when I had to take the 3-hour) Some women just have the predisposition for it!  So, don't blame it on the chocolate :)  I've been eating a ton of baked goods, chocolate, ice cream this pregnancy and I passed the three hour with flying colors. 

You're not crazy - it's a valid concern, but I think you'll be fine with the test (although it SUCKS!)  make sure you take plenty to keep you busy during that time!  Good luck! 

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Agree with laurmarie. I have my 3 hour in the morning. It's terribly frustrating because you didn't do anything to cause it, and you can't do anything to fix it - it's just your body taking over.  Hope it goes well for both of us!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck on the 3hr. I failed my 1hr with the last pregnancy but passed the 3hr so hopefully that will be the case for you also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Doc called today and told me my test came back slightly elevated, but I goofed during mine and had a little snack after the glucola. So she is letting me redo the 1hr, if I fail again I will do the 3 hr like you. Good luck to all of us.
    imageimage
  • Options

Laurmarie is right.  You are not overreacting.  I failed my 1hr and 3hr and therefor have been diagnosed with GD.  You may pass the 3hr and be fine, but even if you fail, it isn't because of anything you did.  When I went to the endocrinologist they sent me to, he did a test to check the last 90 of my blood sugar levels and they were fine, other than the tests that I had failed.  So, I wasn't eating too terribly or anything, it just happened.

*sorry for the run-on, very distracted this evening.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you fail the 3 hour, you will probably have to see a nutritionist and go on a special diet.  I doubt eating chocolate every night will be the reason you fail (if you do).  I have been eating WAY more sweets than I did before I got pregnant and I passed my test without any problems.
  • Options
    i also failed the 1 hour exam and during the 3 hour exam i threw up half way through but still passed. so dont be to worried. wait until you get your results. also there is nothing you did that caused this. and if you end up having gd it is just a change in your diet most of the time. good luck on your test.
  • Options
    I failed both the 1 and 3 hour tests. I'm now officially diagnosed with GD. My hemoglobin test wasn't so bad but still I was sent to the nutritionist who gave me a strict regime. By the way my nutrition habits are quite good so except the elimination of all sugar including a moderation on fruits my life doesn't change much. Some fruits like oranges or banana are banned (the juices are even worse which I used to enjoy every morning). Anyway the most important to me is to bring a very healthy baby to life...so I can cut down on sweets for a while. But I still have this fantasy of a Campari spritz after birth and breastfeeding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"