February 2011 Moms
Options

Michael Aaron's Birth Story (PsIP)

Almost a full week late, Michael Aaron finally decided to grace us with his presence on Thursday February 24th at 8:01 pm. 9 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long born vaginally with an epi.  I was having actual contractions on Wednesday starting at 10 pm but they weren't consistent and would be anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes apart, so I didn't think anything of it. Thursday morning at 4 am however, was a completely different story. DH got up at 7 to get ready for work, I did our usual Friday routine a day early and made us cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I'd been up since 3:30 because the contractions were worse when I was laying in the bed so I just camped out on the couch and started timing them. I called my group's office at 8:30 and had them schedule me to come in to be checked because Monday I was still only 2 cm dialated and 50% effaced (and had been that way for a month). 10:15 was my appointment, I was 3 cm and 90% effaced, and since I was already supposed to go in that night to be induced anyway, they sent me across the street to the hospital to be admitted, have my water broken and pitocin started, and have this baby.

We got in very quickly and got the ball rolling, my water was broken at 11:52 and when dialation didn't progress, pitocin was started at 12:01. I had my heart set on having this baby without pain meds but holy cow the contractions with pitocin were no freakin joke. My nurse kept telling me I didn't have to be Superwoman and could go ahead and get the epi anytime. 2 shots of fentanyl and 3 pitocin hikes later, I was in pretty rough shape so I said bring it on. Epi was placed at 4ish and you want to talk about relaaaaaaaxed.. The last shot of the fentanyl came back full force and I actually felt stoned. Okay.. Here's where it gets nasty. I don't know if it was a staffing issue or that Ginger (the nurse who came in on the shift that would see me deliver) just got really busy and hadn't quite made it to me yet. I was dialated 9.5 cm at 6 pm. An hour and a half later, I start getting antsy because they hadn't come in to check me AT ALL and had been feeling some pressure and the sensation of something sliding down there.. Well, I get curious and reach to feel for myself and I felt my son's head about 2 inches away from sliding on out of my vajayjay... I calmly told my MIL to run and grab someone (my SIL had paged my nurse via the call button 30 minutes prior to find out when someone was coming in to check me), she grabs the first girl to be walking towards my room and relays the message prompting her to run in and see what was going on. Quick check said 10 cm plus, baby was in the birth canal, and she was going to get my nurse (who by this point still had not shown her face in my room since the shift change at 6.). Lots of commotion ensued from everyone coming in to get stuff set up. Ginger finally showed up to stick her fingers up my who-hah and tell me to stop laughing so much because every laugh pushed him farther down. 7:55 the midwife came in and suited up, said "Let's deliver a baby, shall we?" and got into position. 7 pushes later, my behemoth son came sliding out into the world, pooping as soon as he hit cool air (and oh my god did he poop EVERYWHERE!.

Due to the lack of punctuality of my nurse in checking my dialation, I can't say for sure how long Michael was actually in the birth canal and his extended stay caused him to be worked on for half an hour trying to clear the mucous from his passages and lungs so he could breathe. The longest minute of my life was seeing him come out and waiting to hear him take his first breath and cry.. I've never been more scared in my life.. We had a rough way to go the first night in the hospital as far as feeding and monitoring his breathing and doing what we could to try and get more of the mucous out. This little man knows nothing of the concept of nipple confusion, thank god. I had to give him formula because his blood sugar readings were wonky for the first 24 hours, and I would try to give him the breast every 2 or 3 feedings just to keep him interested.

We're home and doing well, I couldn't be more in love. DH made a comment the first night that even though it's going to take some getting used to, our new arrangement feels "just right". I fell a little more in love with him at that moment, I think.. lol 

imageimageimage
I've come to take over the world *muwahahaha* imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Michael Aaron's Birth Story (PsIP)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"