August 2011 Moms

Questions..

1.) My doctors deliver at both of the hospitals in my town. I definitely prefer one over the other because I've heard so many wonderful things about their birthing center but I know both hospitals are wonderful. The thing is that since they are in between getting a new doctor at the moment their policy and what they prefer is that when a patient goes into labor they deliver at the hospital the doctor on call has the most patients at. So, do I need to register ahead of time at both hospitals?

2.) When is everyone planning to start all the different things, like Lamaze classes? When do you register at the hospital? Just the technicalities.

I'm a first time mom and I don't know how to come about a lot of these things or when to. So any suggestions would always be very helpful. TIA!  

Re: Questions..

• I think both of these things are things you need to be asking your doctor. They, or their nurse, can help you navigate the system locally.

My dr only delivers at one hospital, so I don't have any idea what I'd do in your case

We got a list of classes offered by our OB practice and the hospital from the OB, and they listed the time periods you should take them. We decided on the Bradley method and are taking a class starting April 9 (20 weeks exactly for me). Most people take that one in the last trimester though.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would definitely ask your dr. or nurse.

I took the classes at 7 or 8 months. I took baby basics and birth class. I also toured the hospital and got my car seat inspected. I think those classes were the best. No need for the hospital tour. I was able to take the classes for free at a blood cord banking clinic (I did not have to bank). My hospital was really expensive. You don't learn much from a breastfeeding class (my opinion). I learned more from watching a video.

I didn't take a Bradley class because my OB didn't believe in the method. I also wanted to be prepared for the birth. The nurse in the delivery room said I knew a lot for a first time mom. I definitely encourage reading Babywise, Pregnancy Week by week, Happiest Baby on the Block

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"