Northern California Babies
Options

Losing too much weight?

So, I know I should consider myself lucky to have lost the baby weight, but on top of the baby weight I've lost and additional 20+/-lbs.  Should this be of any concern?  I'm BFing and I know I'm getting more than enough calories, but the pounds keep falling off.  I'm wondering if there is something could be wrong with my thyroid.

Re: Losing too much weight?

• Options
    Wow! 20 pounds is a lot. I would talk to your Dr. about that. It sounds like your Thyroid could be hyper. I definitely would ask to be tested.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My first thought would be to question if you had an additional 20 pounds to lose pre-pregnancy.  From what I remember of how you look, I wouldn't think so. 

I think it is definitely worth a call to your doctor to see what he/she says.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLesley423:

My first thought would be to question if you had an additional 20 pounds to lose pre-pregnancy.  From what I remember of how you look, I wouldn't think so. 

Ditto this.

I would call the doc and see if you can get blood work, I'd be concerned about it.

• Options
    imageLesley423:

I agree that you probably didn't have an extra 20 pounds to lose.  The same thing happened to my cousin, who was very, very thin her entire life so between that and all the craziness of having a newborn she didn't pay much attention. Her sister finally pushed her to go to the doc because she was skin and bones and sure enough she had Thyroid problems.  It's fairly common PP so I would definitely have your doc run your numbers.

Good luck.

• Options

Yes you should be concerned.  It's unusual to lose that much weight without serious effort, especially on someone your size.  It is likely thryoid issues and that happens to about 10% of post partum women, myself included. 

The test is simple.  Unfortunately, the treatment isn't while breastfeeding. But your doc can help you sort it out.

Good luck!

• Options
    imageLesley423:

ditto exactly.   I hope that it's nothing serious!
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I lost 24 pounds in the first 2 weeks after pregnancy and I only gained 19 with my pregnancy.  My doctor was unconcerned and said it balances out.

That said...when I had hip surgery I gained 15 of it back and am struggling to get it back off.

So your body will regulate and it will get back, it does not hurt to mention it to your doctor, and I agree that you should, maybe just send an email and see what she says (or he). 

ETA: Uhm...I totally read you post wrong.  You lost all baby weight PLUS 20 more?  You really should mention it to your doctor and have some blood work done.  It could be nothing (I ate less in the earlier months because I forgot to eat) but you should check things out just to be sure.  If for nothing other than peace of mind. 

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me - I lost all the weight I gained right away and then another 18 pounds in the next few weeks. I didn't even breastfeed. I was checked out and everything was normal. I guess my metabolism was just in overdrive after having had a baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"