Babies on the Brain

DH's Aunt made me cry

This weekend H's extended family came to see Jack. His aunt also had a preemie and talks about it all the time to me. She also acts like her 34 weeker being in the NICU for 2 weeks is the same as my 25 weeker which really annoys me, but whatever.

She was talking about a scar that her son has on his arm from something that happened in the NICU and how kids made fun of him for it when he was in grade school. Jack has a huge gnarly scar all the way across his stomach from his bowel perforation surgery. It had never occured to me that someday kids would make fun of him for it. Crying I was so caught off gaurd and I know she felt awful. She brings up this shiit everytime I see her. Its not like I went on a 4 month vacation and want to reminisce about it everytime we get together.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DH's Aunt made me cry

• Aww, honey.

People aren't going to see the scar on his stomach anywhere near as much as the kids saw the scar on that biitch's poor child's arm.

And I have no doubt that your kid will be cool as hell, so everyone will think his gnarly scar is awesome.

• Why on earth does she feel that is ok? People are amazing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecrownedbee:

Aww, honey.

People aren't going to see the scar on his stomach anywhere near as much as the kids saw the scar on that biitch's poor child's arm.

And I have no doubt that your kid will be cool as hell, so everyone will think his gnarly scar is awesome.

One of the most perfect responses I've ever seen.

Photobucket Anniversary
  • Well, isn't she a douche.

It used to annoy the crap out of me when people compared their 32+ week preemies to Jillian. Well, I'm sure it still would, but people don't do it now that I have a 34-weeker for them to compare to. If she would like to hear all the differences, I'd be happy to explain it to her. :p

Hopefully kids won't make fun of Jack, but if they do, hopefully he knows inside that his scar is just part of what makes him extra awesome. 

JHL 12/5/09 - 12/9/09
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagecrownedbee:

Aww, honey.

This made me smile. Thanks CB!

• Dude, look at your siggy, Jack's an effing rock star, he'll be the awesomest kid in his grade school, you just watch.

ETA: Agh! You changed your siggy while I was typing this!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Maybe kids made fun of her kid because he's a whiney brat like his mom? Sorry. That just made me angry that she made you cry.

Kids can be mean. They can also be really cool about things. I have a very prominent keloid scar on my chest that's obvious when I wear any summer clothes. I've gotten a few remarks but it wasn't terrible. Just have him make up a cool story. If people ask, and they're being obnoxious, I tell them its from a shark attack. Or a bear attack. Sometimes both - I was walking in the woods when I was attacked by a bear. I hit him over the head with a nearby tree branch and ran away, only to discover that I was running towards a cliff. I had no choice but to jump into the shark-infested waters below. 

At this point people are usually laughing, and it's pretty obvious that it's from neither a shark, bear or any kind of combo attack.

If you're concerned about it, here's my advice:

Don't let it see sunlight. If he's bare chested, use SPF 60, even in the winter, even if it's through the window. This is not to make you paranoid!! UV rays turn new tissue that dark purple/brown color.  The longer it goes without seeing sunlight the better. But if he does, don't worry. He won't burst into flames immediately, it takes time. :)

On Amazon, you can find Scar Therapy pads. There are several kinds, I've used Curad and ScarAway Professional grade silicone.  it's like a big bandaid, but instead of a pad for the wound inside, it's a sticky layer of silicone. You stick it on, leave it on for 24 hours, take it off, was with soap and water, and replace after drying. The silicone helps flatten out scar edges, and return scars to the natural skin tone. It works by pressure and heat (body temperature). I've been using these for over 20 years, and they're the only thing that helps my keloids. For old scars, they work okay - they've made them appear less obvious. For new scars, some of them have disappeared completely. There's no medicine in them, it;s just silicone. I would only be worried about using them on a baby if he could swallow it, so maybe under a onesie is okay. 

He's gonna be a kick-asss kid. And those scars are just part of his character.  

• imagecrownedbee:

Aww, honey.

CB said it perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"