September 2011 Moms

Possible good news (long)

I mentioned my predicament briefly in the Monday Moan thread this morning, but here's the long version, with an update:

I really want to try to have a natural birth, though I know that plans don't always work out, and I'm trying to be flexible.  I've been seeing an OB who I loved, and she seemed pretty supportive of my choices.  However, I found out that even though there's a hospital practically across the street from their office, no one in that practice delivers anywhere but the hospital that's 30-40 minutes from my house.  The last thing I want is to be in labor in the car for 30-40 minutes, and there are 3-4 hospitals that are closer.  So I told my doc that I was going to look for another provider, and she understood.

Found a midwife that just opened a birth center 10 minutes from my house.  She just delivered one friend's baby, and is good friends with my best friend.  I felt totally comfortable and confident with her, even though she was thinking that my insurance would only cover her at 50%.  We were willing to pay more to have the birth we really want.  Got an e-mail from her on Friday--turns out my insurance won't cover her at all.  Not a penny.  I love her, but there's no way we can come up with $6K by September.

So then Saturday I got a letter in the mail from my current OB's office.  As of today (2 days after I got the letter), their office has moved to the hospital in BFE.  Oh, and by the way, my OB is no longer with their practice.  So I'm assuming my appointment with her next week is cancelled?  Thanks for the notice.

I've been so stressed out about it all weekend.  Especially since I'm nervous and really want to get in and hear that heartbeat again!  We're looking into home birth, but even though I am totally for it in principle, I'm still nervous about it.

I finally found a CNM that delivers at the hospital closest to my house, and it looks like my insurance will cover her, since she works under a physician (I guess they turn everything in to the insurance under the physician's name?).  I have had three different people tell me how wonderful she is, so I'm really hopeful that this will work out.  I have an appointment with her next week, only a day after I would have seen my other OB.  It would be really great if I could get the natural birth I want, within the safety net of the hospital should anything go wrong.

Kudos to anyone who actually read this whole thing.  I'll let you all know how my appointment with her goes!

Re: Possible good news (long)

• Whoa!  That's a lot to tackle, especially while dealing with lovely 1st-tri symptoms!  Kudos to you for not losing your mind!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's great! I really hope everything works out with her!!
    ~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebabyjaq:
    Whoa!  That's a lot to tackle, especially while dealing with lovely 1st-tri symptoms!  Kudos to you for not losing your mind!

Who says I haven't lost my mind?  :)  I actually did have a little meltdown over it yesterday, but I'm feeling a little more zen now.

• That's good news!  I hope you end up liking the midwife!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • Sounds like a good solution and it's great that you have received recommendations for the CNM already. GL!

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good for you for being proactive; I hope everything works out with this CNM!  That being said, if it doesn't try not to give up hopes of your natural birth just yet.  I found that the Dr. and nurses at my local hospital were willing to go along with my birth plan, and despite the statistics where I delivered (where most births are medicated) I was able to have the natural birth I wanted.  Good luck!
  • I live 30-40 minutes from the hospital that I delivered my son at. The drive wasn't a problem at all. I am planning to deliver there again.
  • imageKml9876:
    I live 30-40 minutes from the hospital that I delivered my son at. The drive wasn't a problem at all. I am planning to deliver there again.

I'm glad it worked out for you.  For me, it just didn't make sense when there are at least 3 hospitals that are closer, and there is nothing special for me about this particular hospital.  Not to mention my OB left the practice, so I would have had to find another provider anyway (even if it was within the same practice).  But yes, I realize a lot of people have to/choose to drive that far to give birth.  It just wasn't what we wanted.  But good to know that the drive wasn't too tough on you!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"