2nd Trimester
Options

Jewish ancestry?...did you opt for more of the genetic screens?

We've done the tay sachs and cystic fibrosis, but in meeting with the genetic counselor today prior to the NT scan, she laid a whole list of others in front of us.

I'm curious how many women do opt for doing them (like canavan disease, gaucher's, bloom syndrome, and the list goes on and on) sigh....at this point we are leaning toward skipping them, but I does have me wondering. 

thanks! 

Re: Jewish ancestry?...did you opt for more of the genetic screens?

• Options
    We did them all because I think it was required for doing IVF.  DH isn't Jewish so I wasn't overly concerned that there would be an issue, but it was good to know for sure.  Ours was covered by insurance, but I'm pretty sure I would have done them anyway to have the peace of mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have jewish ancestry & did opt for all the genetic tests. Knowledge is power IMO & if there is anything I can know in advance then I want to know it so I can study, become empowered, & prepared for the baby. 

Still waiting on the results to come back. My insurance only covered 1/2 the costs of the tests but worth it in my opinion. 

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DD we did a panel of genetic screening -- I know we did a few more besides the tay sachs and cystic fibrosis, but I'm not sure what.  DH is of Jewish ancestry and while I am not, there are instances of carriers of Tay Sachs in French Canadians (my ancestry) so they did suggest it.   
  • Options
    I did them all when I got PG with DS. I am Jewish, DH is not, but we did it anyway. With #2, we only did cystic fybrosis, as I wasn't a carrier of anything from the first round of tests.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When I told my MW that I had no known family history of any of these, she didn't recommend genetic testing. I didn't think to push for it- I've had the routine 1st and 2nd trimester screenings, but nothing extra due to my Jewish ancestry.
  • Options
    I did them because they were covered by my insurance. If they weren't covered, I probably would have skipped them, since DH is not Jewish and we have no family history of genetic disorders. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"