February 2011 Moms
Options

Tiffanythemom

I remembered that you had thrush. What were your symptoms? I have a 3 week old and my nipples have been hurting recently and its almost a burning feeling. I know I should call my doctor- do I call my OB or general doctor or my DD's pediatrician?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tiffanythemom

• Options

Call your OB. I did have it, and my OB was able to get me the jock itch cream (clotrimazole) and the Nystatin oral medication for my LO. If you go to just your Pedi you might not get treated, just your LO. (Most docs are smart enough to treat both mom and baby even if only mom has the symptoms.) The symptoms I had was like a stinging, burning pain when she latched on and for about an hour or more afterwards. Also, air them girls out for 15 min a day. (Your DH will love that.) Yeast likes moist dark conditions, so make sure you always change your breast pads and if you use a nipple shield or breast pump, ALWAYS wash with super hot soapy water- not just hot water.

If the jock itch cream doesn't start giving you some sort of relief after 3 days, the yeast may have travelled inside the breast to the milk ducts. You can tell you have thrush inside your breast because when you have letdown you have immense pain- not just on the nipple, but inside all the way up to your armpits. If the yeast is inside, you'll need an oral medication.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"