Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

BFers - biting?

My DS has been getting teeth for about 2 months now and never bit.  The last two days he's been biting a little.  It's not horrendous, but enough that I want to stop it.  I plan on BFing until he's 2 so I need some strategies, if you'd care to share!

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFers - biting?

• Options
    Matteo is almost 17 months old and has 8 teeth, still breastfeeding at least 10 times a day. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! He never bit me regualrly, and the few times that he has done in the past few months, to "test" it out and see what happens, I unlatch him, tell him "no, you don't bite mommy" and then let him back on. If he does it again, he doesn't get to go  back on right away. He has learned from that and hasn't bit since.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have a real strategy per se. DS bit a little after each new tooth, because his mouth had changed. I just popped him off when he did and we stopped nursing for a while (not out of punishment--just to give my boobs a rest). It didn't take him long to get the hang of his new teeth and all was good...until the next teeth came in. We're still goin strong on BF.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLisaMarie_:
    Matteo is almost 17 months old and has 8 teeth, steel breastfeeding at least 10 times a day. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! He never bit me regualrly, and the few times that he has done in the past few months, to "test" it out and see what happens, I unlatch him, tell him "no, you don't bite mommy" and then let him back on. If he does it again, he doesn't get to go  back on right away. He has learned from that and hasn't bit since.

THIS exactly! Just make sure you are firm and he knows that you are serious when you say no.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLisaMarie_:
    Matteo is almost 17 months old and has 8 teeth, steel breastfeeding at least 10 times a day. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! He never bit me regualrly, and the few times that he has done in the past few months, to "test" it out and see what happens, I unlatch him, tell him "no, you don't bite mommy" and then let him back on. If he does it again, he doesn't get to go  back on right away. He has learned from that and hasn't bit since.

This!  It only took a couple of times and then no more biting! Big Smile

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh my gosh.. pregnancy brain at its FINEST!

I clearly meant STILL and not STEEL lol Embarrassed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Keep a close eye on him, babies have to unlatch to bite, so stop it before he is fully unlatched, If he does bite you cans say "that wasn't nice" and put him down. Be sure to praise him for good unlatching and latching I try ot use the same phrase and say "Now thats being Nice Good!!" 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options

DD bites only when 1) her teeth hurt or 2) she isn't interested and I try to get her to nurse.

If/when she bites I say 'no, we do not bite mommy, that isn't nice" and I set her down. She usually cries and I ask her to sign sorry and then if she still wants milk I let her nurse. If she bites again, she is done for then.

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"