Attachment Parenting

BLW/Solids help

I think I posted an almost identical thread about 2-3 months ago.  But here we are with E at 10.5 months old & he is still not very into solids at all.  He's still nursing like a champ & his weight isn't a concern.  [Some of you may remember that a pedi in our practice actually was worried that he weighed too much (30 lbs) for his age/height (30 in)]

Anyway, I've been offering him a variety of foods - fruits,  veggies, meats, pasta, rice - whatever we're eating & he typically just throws them off of the table or highchair & onto the floor.  At first I thought it was just a game, but it appears that it's his way of saying "I'm not eating this."  I say that because if you give him a cracker, he will gobble it up right away.  And while I don't mind him having a cracker every now & again, I'd prefer he eat nutritious foods when he has solids.

So meal times now consist of him throwing all his food on the floor, usually withough him even tasting it, & drinking water from his straw cup & chewing on ice through the mesh feeder. 

I'm starting to get worried that his lack of interest in table food is something to be concerned about.  Any suggestions?  Is this something I should call the pedi over?  Or am I over reacting & as long as he's still nursing, he's fine? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: BLW/Solids help

• ::peeks out of lurking::

My mom is constantly reminding me now that I didn't eat solids until I was 1 year 10 days old. And it wasn't for lack of trying on my parents part. I just wanted nothing to do with solids. Mostly my mom tells me this now because she hopes that J. is the same way!

I nursed that whole time (because, of course, I never took a bottle). I didn't learn how to drink from a bottle until I was 18 months. By that point, it was a moot point, but my mom just wanted to know when I would finally figure out how to use a bottle.

Anyway, despite not eating solids until over 1 year, and not using bottles, I think I turned out okay.

So, I'd say it's okay as long as he is nursing. However, if it would put your mind at ease, you could call and ask your pedi.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some kids definitely do take longer to warm up to solids and nutritionally he is getting what he needs from nursing.  Do you typically eat with him?  I think modeling eating behavior is a huge part of getting kids to give things a go.  I'd also keep trying all sorts of different tastes, shapes, and textures - you never know what he'll decide to give a go!  One other thought would be to take a look at your nursing schedule now that he's a bit older... make sure you aren't nursing too close to meal times so that he'll actually be hungry when offered solids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks mamas.

imagencbelle:
    .  Do you typically eat with him? 

Yes, typically I feed him whenever & whatever we are eating. The only exception is when we are having something that I don't want him to eat like take out pizza or something.

Interestingly enough, after I posted this he actually ate chicken & linguini at dinner with us.  Never underestimate the power of public shaming!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Just to throw my 2 cents in, I know your question is a lot more than this, but we had a period around 10-11 months where food throwing just became super fun. Since it was way more fun to throw the food off the tray (& I think it was partly a control thing), DD lived on nursing, organic graham crackers, and berries for a while. We got it mostly under control by telling her that the cupholder on her tray was "for food we don't want to eat."  (and repeating over...and over...at every meal).

Now, if there's something she doesn't want to eat, she can choose to put in in the cupholder. 90% of the time she takes it right back out and eats it anyway, haha. I'm not sure if this is totally applicable for you guys, but in my experience DD is much more cooperative at the table when she has some control over what food she chooses to eat. We also started giving her a baby fork-- apparently food is WAY more fun when you stab it with a fork first, "like mama does." All the things a 1 year old can teach you! :) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Everything is so exciting when you're one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"