Infertility
Options

Metformin...? (long post)

Hi Ladies!

I'm here from the TTGP board and I have been snooping around for some posts about metformin and haven't really found much so far, I am hoping some of you might be able to answer my question.

I'll give a little background real quick... February marks 1 year for TTC with no luck but we've been patient. Had a couple of appts with the OB in my area since October due to abnormal paps and abnormal bleeding and sort of wonky cycles. I also have this embarassing Embarrassed facial hair, and I mean dark and coarse and a lot of it! I also did OPKs like it was my job and always came up negative. Well my OB doesn't think anything is wrong and recommended laser hair removal and said he thinks my problems are caused by my ethnic background or hereditary. So I was not satisfied with my appt and went last week for a second opinion.

The dr i went to last week made me feel so much better and is more willing to help me find a reason why this is all happening. So I had some bloodwork done and he is checking my progesterone, testosterone, and like 6 other things that I don't remember the names for. But, he mentioned if this is what he 'thinks' it is, he plans to put me on metformin along with BC.

My question is, have you ladies been in this situation? Is this a long term medication or short term? I have seen where other ladies were on metformin but not with birth control and I should have asked him while I was there but didn't think of the question until I was already gone. I get my results on Wednesday so I am hoping for some answers!!! Any info you have to offer will be appreciated! Thank you for reading my long post!

Re: Metformin...? (long post)

• Options

It sounds like you have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome); cycles out of whack, unwanted facial/body hair, not ovulating, etc... Meformin will help balance things out a little, along with a low-carb diet and BCP will also help balance things out and to shrink cysts on/in your ovaries.

I have PCOS and have been taking Metformin for 7 months.  I have been on BCP, but only b/c they were part of the meds I needed to take for my IVF cycles.  It's to calm the ovaries to gear up for a IVF cycle.

There are a bunch of ladies here with PCOS.  If you have any other questions, please ask.  GL to you!!!

TTC #1 Since 11/08 - Dx: MFI & PCOS
    7 IUIs = All BFNs
    2011: March IVF #1.2 = e/p @ 6w: May IVF #2 = BFN: July sFET #1 = BFN

2012: Jan We're Certified FC/A Parents
    May IVF #3 = c/p
    June-Nov Foster Mommy to M (Toddler)
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Sept-Nov Foster Mommy to Baby Bella (Newborn)
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

2013: Feb FET #5 = m/c @ 6.5w
    May-July Foster Mom to H (8 yr old girl)
    June/July/Aug IVF #4 = Freeze All
    July = Unofficially Adopting T (10 yr old boy)
    Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • Options
    That's what the dr thinks it may be but wants to confirm. I guess my concern is taking the BC. Just because i feel like it's a set back, but understanbably for good reason. How long did you take the BC? Or have you taken it the whole 7 months? Im sorry for the silly questions, just kind of confused and want to be prepared! And btw, thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi

My RE gave me Metformin, prior to starting ivf cycles, in fact I think he prescribed on first consult, as I had irregular cycles and one course hair on my chin and that month I had a 28 day cycle and continued to have regular 28 day cycles (something I had never had) also a side effect is that it can suppress your appetite, which for me personally was a bonus to this medication!

GL!

TTC since August 2008 6 months of Clomid 1st pregnancy natural, miscarried at 6 weeks D & C - May 2010 2nd pregnancy natural, miscarried at 6 weeks naturally - July 2010 IVF #1 - Octber 2010 started stim; November 2010 ER - 10 eggs; 8 mature; 6 fertilized; ET - 2 4AAs - BFN IVF #2 Jan/Feb 2011 - FET 2/1 Beta #1 2/15 262
  • Options
    I have PCOS and honestly I agree that it sounds like you have some of the most classic symptoms.  I wouldn't say that BCP are your best treatment option if you are trying to get pregnant. i have been on glucophage (brand name of metformin) for the past 7 months. It takes some getting used to, but it does help with the insulin resistance and does slow down the symptoms.  I think if I tried a very low carb diet, I would see even more results (have to muster up the self discipline for that one!)  It sounds like you finally have a doc that is listening to you. There's a ton out there about PCOS. I'm still learning every day. GL!!
    Married - 8/2009 Diagnosed right away as sub-fertile. PCOS for me and low motility, morphology for DH. On treatment of glucophage and supplements for PCOS. Completely OOP. 4 IUI's - clomid- all BFN's IVF #1- 13 fertilized, no frozens- BFN IVF #2- ER 2/21, 18 retrieved, 12 fertilized. ET 2/24 - 2 beauties. No frozens. BFN. IUI #5 using leftover meds- BFN Trying new meds for PCOS. SAIF & PAIF and prayers welcome! Entering the world of adoption. Choosing happiness and love and focusing on the blessings we do have instead of the things that we don't.
  • Options

Well that's why I was asking about BC and why I am confused. I thought maybe he would put me on BC short term with metformin. But I guess I can just talk to him more about when we find out the results. I've been stressing and worried about having to go back on BC, since we are TTC.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"