Success after IF

do you have to repeat everything your toddler says?

Oliver's speech has reeeeeeally taken off lately and while I love communicating with him, the house is A LOT noisier all of a sudden.  Partially because he requires that I repeat/fully acknowledge every single word he says.  If I don't respond to his "Ollie feed baby" or "Ollie pet Lainey" or whatever, he repeats it incessantly until I do.  So I spend 90% of my day going "oh, you're getting down on your tummy?", "oh, you're eating fishies?" etc.

Is this totally normal?  How long is it going to last?  Am I going to be doing this until he's 8?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker
Amber
TTC since March '06
MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
My IF Blog: Between the Lines
My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama

Re: do you have to repeat everything your toddler says?

• Yes, I'm convinced it lasts until college.  Then we'll have to repeat - "doing shots of vodka mommy"
  • That is too funny!  I thought Aiden was the only one that did that!  ALL THE TIME!  I have to repeat.every.time!  I think he just wants me to verify what he's saying.  As if he's unsure.  Sometimes it's cute though.  I hope we don't have to until we're 8!  Haha!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Same thing going on here. If I don't repeat it, he just keeps saying it. It has become so routine for me I hardly even think about it anymore. My youngest neices are 5 yrs. old and I want to say by the time they were 3, they didn't require the repeating anymore.
  • The funny thing is, it's no big deal when it's the 2 of us.  But this weekend it almost sparked an argument because "DH - can't you repeat after him once in awhile?!"  It sounds so ridiculous to argue over whose responsibility it is to copy our son. 

Sheesh.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • Yes! Reagan does this too!  We have to repeat everything she says or she just says it over and over!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • YES.  If I just answer with "Ok" or "Oh really?" she thinks that I didn't understand what she said, so she repeats, repeats, repeats.  I think it is to verify that I know what she's saying.
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • imagesomethingchangd:

The funny thing is, it's no big deal when it's the 2 of us.  But this weekend it almost sparked an argument because "DH - can't you repeat after him once in awhile?!"  It sounds so ridiculous to argue over whose responsibility it is to copy our son. 

Sheesh.

Yes!  And I feel exactly the same way!  When it's me, DH and DS in the car, I repeat everything DS says ("Yes.. there's a car.  Oh yes.. there's a truck.  Uh uh.. that's the highway")  and think "Hey DH.. why can't YOU do the repeating and give me a break!"  Very funny... didn't know anyone else felt that way!

imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Totally normal! It won't last forever, I promise! They need validation that you're listening and they are being understood. I often add to what DD is saying (oh, a car... a red car) It's a good way to expand their language skills while validating what they are saying.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesasa625:
    Totally normal! It won't last forever, I promise! They need validation that you're listening and they are being understood. I often add to what DD is saying (oh, a car... a red car) It's a good way to expand their language skills while validating what they are saying.

I do this too!  

I also understand the frustration with DH's.  My DS loves to say everyones name, and won't stop until that person answers him...my DH won't always answer him (especially after the 5th or so time he goes through whomever is in the room), so DS is saying "dada, dada, dada, dada" getting louder and louder until I have to tell my DH to answer him.  What is the deal with the daddys not wanting to answer the kiddos? 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oh lordie, just you gals wait until you see what's around the bend.... we went from Me repeating everything to HER parroting EVERY SINGLE SENTANCE..

our days are now:

"Let's get going and go to the store, Ava."

"Going to the store???????????" (big inflection)

"Put your jacket on, it's over there. "

"It's over THERE???????????????"

Tell the dog to go in his room."

"In his room???????????"

etc.

etc.

etc.

It's hilarious. In that "OMG, you're so irritating in a  I wanna schmooch you" way ;-)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Cal's not insistent but we do tend to repeat to a) acknowledge that we are listening, b) acknowledge that we understand, and c) make sure he hears the correct pronunciation.
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm convinced it will never end.  I don't have to repeat everything (good since he regales me with paragraphs now), but do have to acknowledge EVERYTHING.  A nod of the head is insufficient and met with, "TALK, MOMMY!!!!!"

I think he'll also refer to himself in the third person for the rest of his life.  Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"