Parenting
Options

Would you let your 4 y.o. drive a snowmobile alone?

A friend posted video on FB of her not-quite 4 y.o. (she'll be 4 in April) driving a snowmobile on her own. (No helmet on, either.) Seems like a terrible idea to me, especially without a helmet. She's driving in an open space and going very slowly and her parents were right there (dad close by, mom video-taping), but still... I can see wanting to teach her how to do it responsibly, but she seems too young and she should've been wearing a helmet. What do you think? 

Re: Would you let your 4 y.o. drive a snowmobile alone?

• Options
    Um, no. I don't think it would even occur to  me to do that, but I don't live in the middle of an icy, snowy wonderland...I don't think we have snowmobiles here :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My gut reaction was no.

But Joey has been riding a 4-wheeler since he was 2.5.  So yea, probably.  And they would most definitely have to wear a helmet. 

I think things like this, when foreign to people, seem that much more outrageous.  If you grew up riding these things, it's the norm to have your kids start out on them young as well.  I mean, my parents best friends (when we were growing up) had 3 wheelers, snowmobiles, etc.  They were a bit older than 4 -- probably around 8 or so -- and would go whip around in the woods, night or day.  But my best guess (I can't remember as they were a bit older than me) is that they had been riding since they were around 4 as well.

• Options
    DS will be 4 in April...no way would I do that. He is untrustworthy, to say the least. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hell no.

But, he doesn't drive 4 wheelers.  He will ride with on of us, but that is it! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    it depends on the child....my son did but he also had a helmet on.  So I would let Josh & Mandi ride but not Britt or Michelle.
    Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • Options

My first instinct was to jump and down yelling "NO"!

But...... .Olivia drove a mini-quad last summer - My Dad had it set so it wouldn't even go as fast as those little battery powered cars/quads that you get a Toys R Us.    He walked beside her the whole time and she wore a helmet.

I'm going to have to say in the snowmobile situation it depends on how it is treated.  

• Options

krisbri - that's funny b/c I think my answer would change for Cam. I like to afford her all the same opportunities as Joey but he is just way more hand/eye coordinated than she is.  He would own that thing -- even at 4.  He rides his quad like a natural.  Her, on the other hand....well, she hasn't quite efficiently handled walking yet!  LOL

• Options
    A kiddie sled? Yes, provided that she was wearing a helmet and it was a wide open space with plenty of supervision. DD is getting a small four wheeler for her birthday and its pretty much the same thing, IMO. Its not like we'll take her trail riding or anything.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options
    What?! DD1 just started riding with DH on his snowmobile this year. She has a helmet that she wears every time. She sits in front of DH, and he helps her "drive."
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    I road a horse when I was 4.  I would think a snowmobile with mom and dad beside it would be a bit more reliable than that pony was.  I am a firm believer in helmets/protective gear though.  It sounds like they were just going for a photo op to me. 
  • Options

my nephew is not quite 4 and he got his own snowmobile for Christmas.  My brother is an avid snowmobiler so it just makes sense.  He's awesome on it (but it does not go very fast at all!) 

but NEVER without a helmet.  That part is dumb.

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"