Parenting

Snotty-ish question about education

Anyone have a higher education level than their H? I do and am planning on going for another masters late this year. I am surprised how (not sure if it's the right word but..) threatened MH is about it.

Basically mcompany wants to send me for the US version of the QP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_Person) and upon completing it I will earn my masters in science and if I lived in the EU I could sit for my QP.

I thought he would be happy for me but he has a hair across his ass. It's not like I'm in his face about it, at all.

Meh.

~Lisa
Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>

Re: Snotty-ish question about education

• I do have a higher degree, but he makes more money than I could ever make in my field, so its pretty much a wash, especially given that these days my degree seems to be in laundry and crashing Hot Wheels together.  LOL  
  • For a long time I did, he finally got his Masters last year (took him a long time).  I think it bothered him, although he wouldn't really admit it.  He makes more money, even if I worked full-time (I'm only working part-time).  That made him mad too.  "You have a master's from XXX and you're only making!"  XXX is a pretty good school.
  • Loading the player...
  • SBDC- you're spot on! MH makes LOADS more than me. We're in very very different industries.

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • I have a higher degree but DH makes more money.  A lot more money.  So no, he doesn't seem to feel threatened. 
  • imagesummerbrideDC:
    I do have a higher degree, but he makes more money than I could ever make in my field, so its pretty much a wash, especially given that these days my degree seems to be in laundry and crashing Hot Wheels together.  LOL  
    Ditto this exactly.
  • Nope. He has a PhD. I have a masters plus another 30 credits. I do make a lot more than he does, but I hope that will change soon!
    imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • imagesummerbrideDC:
    I do have a higher degree, but he makes more money than I could ever make in my field, so its pretty much a wash, especially given that these days my degree seems to be in laundry and crashing Hot Wheels together.  LOL  

this.  exactly! 

• I have a higher degree and make more money.  It doesn't bother DH - I think he's more proud of me than anything.  He had some major family hardships that kept him from finishing college in a timely manner - actually he's still trying to finish.  I think he needs maybe one more quarter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DH didn't go to college.  I have a BS.  He makes double what I make!  He is a department manager for a local supermarket chain.  He gets paid well, gets bonuses twice a year, and has very generous profit sharing.  He doesn't feel threatened at all.  
  • I have a couple of degrees and DH has none.    He does not feel threatened and he could not care less.

He also makes more money than I ever could, so maybe that has something to with his attitude..... 

• We are just simple folk around this part -- just a high school diploma for both of us!  ;)
    Congratulations on your opportunity --- sounds great.  And tell H to ball up and be a man! 
  • We have the exact same degree, but for a long time I made more $$ than him. He keeps telling me that he would love nothing more than to be a house husband and for me to make more than him. ; ) I'm at a crossroads where I need more education to do my job, but it will come in the form of either a PMP certification or just some extra business classes.

DH isn't much about that stuff. If he goes where he wants to, he'll also have to get a certification for our industry that will make him worth loads more than me. So much for his dream of being my house boy. 

DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • imagesarahsmom2004:
    I have a higher degree but DH makes more money.  A lot more money.  So no, he doesn't seem to feel threatened. 
    Yep, same here. I have my masters and DH has only bachelors. However, DH makes twice my salary.
    ~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • I have an MA and DH has a BA. But ditto the PP -- he makes more money than me anyway.

He was not threatened at all by my degree -- we were dating while I studied for it, and he encouraged me throughout the process.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a BA and a teaching credential (so units about BA). I want to go back for my MA once the kids are older. DH dropped out of jr. college after 1 semester to work in construction. 14 years later the economy crashed so now I make almost double what he does. I don't think he feels threatened, but sometimes he gets sensitive if I accidently make an arrogant comment about knowing more about something. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I suppose so....I have a BS (well, 2 actually). He went the trade route, 5 yrs worth of apprenticeship classes, Journeyman card, and has sat for and passed the Master's license.  He's topped out for education, but can get lots of certifications and endorsements. AND he makes much more than I ever did prior to staying home. He's not a even smidge jealous of my poor earning potential and student loan dept. 

I hope to go back to school in a couple years - most likely for an MBA - then no doubt I'll be smarter. Stick out tongue

• imagestephsteph77:
    I have a higher degree and make more money.  It doesn't bother DH - I think he's more proud of me than anything. .

This! 

• I have my Masters, DH has a Bachelors.  When I go back to work in the fall (hopefully I get a job) teaching, he will still be making double what I make.  He works for the federal government.  He pushed me to go back to school to earn my masters because he wants me to make more money.  He would love it if I went for my PhD, but I'm not interested at this time
  • I've had my JD since 2008, and MH received his masters this past December.  I guess technically my degree is still "more" since it's a juris doctor, but I don't think there's much difference in level of education at that point.

It's never been an issue, but I've also never worked or made more money.  I don't think he'd care though, he'd just be like YAY money!

FWIW, my husband and I have very different things we are good at.  I might stress that to your husband since you are in different fields.  There is no way in hell I could ever come near graduating with a masters in mechanical engineering, let alone graduating with a 4.0.  The things he knows amaze me, but I do think in turn, the things I know and have done amaze him.  I guess we're both sort of in awe of what the other can do because it's very outside of our own ability.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH has a high school diploma, I have a BA in English. It doesn't bother him in the least that I"m more educated than he is, although I only work part time and stay home the rest of the time. We're just very different people, he had no desire to go for a four year degree. He's a mason and he's really good at what he does.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • dh has a two year tech degree plus the 2 yrs training/classes to be an electrician.  I have my masters.  He makes more than me.  He encourages me to go back and work on a higher degree when the boys get a little older.  Our careers are diff. Plus, i think he likes my degree:  He found my masters in the cardboard mailer it came in a long time ago, and he got a frame for it.  It's in a cabinet, but it's framed now. 
    Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Yes... I have my PhD and my H does not have a college degree.  He does wish he had his college degree (and is slowly working toward it), but he makes a good living, even though I am the breadwinner.
  • Yes. I'm a good portion of the way through my doctorate and DH has a BS. I work in education and he works in networking technology. He will probably always make more than me. I don't think he has any problem with me having higher degrees than him - although he does laugh at me when he gets to have fun at night and I'm stuck studying and writing papers.
  • imagesummerbrideDC:

THIS, all of it.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • We are equal now, both have our masters, but I want to go back for my second. He says he is okay with it we shall see. i don't think he would be okay with me making more money than him, which if I get this second masters is possible.
  • There are seriously men in this economy that would have a problem with their wives making more money than them?  Really?   My husband has a JD, I have an MBA...and I make more money after he took a ginormous pay cut.  If he has an issue with it, I sure don't know about it.  Maybe it's because we still have our house, cars, and do the other things we were doing (basically our lifestyle hasn't changed any) before his paycut. ::shrug::
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"