Parenting

I was HORRIFIED at preschool pickup today.

A woman parked next to me at preschool pickup this morning.  She was older and I assumed her to be the grandmother.  I immediately judged her for the cigarette hanging out of her mouth since she'd soon be putting a child in the car and exposing him or her to the second-hand smoke.  Then I noticed the toddler in the back seat.  I was disgusted that she'd smoke in the car with him in it.  But I was HORRIFED when she rolled down the windows (it's 30 degrees here!) and left him in the car to go get the child she was picking up from preschool.  She stopped at the doors to finish her cigarette and then proceeded all the way into the school and down the hall to the child's classroom, not once looking back to check on the kid in the car.  She was probably gone from the child in the car for 10 minutes.

I mentioned all of this to my friend who was picking her child up from preschool, too.  She said she knew exactly who I was talking about -- and that it wasn't a grandmother at all, but a DAYCARE PROVIDER.  Indifferent  I can't believe parents are actually paying to have their child driven around in a smoky car and then left unattended in a parking lot.  I mean, I've parked at the curb and left my younger two buckled in the car while I run 10 feet to the door, stand outside and watch DS1 run down the hall to his class, but I'd never leave them in the car alone for that long.  With the windows open.  When they're NOT MY KIDS.  WTF.

Re: I was HORRIFIED at preschool pickup today.

• That's criminal.
    My three little ones
  • I would be livid it my DCP did that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you know the child she was picking up? I might mention something to the parent, maybe they have no idea this daycare provider is doing all this. 
  • If I was the parent of the children she was watching then I would want someone to tell me. It is not legal to leave a child in a car for any amount of time unattended and out of sight. I am willing to bet the parents don't know that this is being done. I also have left my youngest in the car and watched my 3yo walk into the building, but never have I left him alone and walked inside.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • ditto PP. I'd be livid and I'd want to know.
  • I would mention it to the preschool director. I am sure it is their policy to not allow children to be left unattended in vehicles in their parking lot. The director can then mention it to the offender.

Seriously - who does that?!

• Has anyone told the mom about this?  Its possible that she doesn't know the day care lady does this.  I would sure appreciate someone telling me!
  • I would actually get her license plate number and call the police.

Check your state.  I know, in mine, it's illegal to leave a child in a car out of your sight (locked, unlocked whatever) until they're 8.  Not to say I don't do it in my own driveway on occasion. 

If I were that child's mom, I'd want you to report it.

• that is awful.

I only leave my kids in the car if I can see the car at all times. I also let my 5yo walk to the school doors by herself as long as I am watching from the car.

• I don't know the child/parent and from what my friend said, it seems the parents know what kind of care their kids are receiving.  :(

I'll definitely note the license plate next time, though.

• Our daycare contract says that parents are not allowed to leave kids in the car while they do drop offs- if they do, they will be reported to the authorities for child neglect. Tell the director!
  • You know, I am pretty chill about a lot of things that create drama on these boards.  But even my jaw is slack after reading that.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imageLIMom:
    If I was the parent of the children she was watching then I would want someone to tell me. It is not legal to leave a child in a car for any amount of time unattended and out of sight. I am willing to bet the parents don't know that this is being done. I also have left my youngest in the car and watched my 3yo walk into the building, but never have I left him alone and walked inside.

All of this! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm shocked and livid ready this.  How awful.  I would definitely tell the parents or report it.  Something very serious could happen (I don't even want to think of the possibilities).  And I would never leave my kids with a smoker either, wow.  I feel bad for the kids. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"