Multiples

Does your Pediatrician specialize in multiples?

I'm interviewing pediatricians, and didn't think of this until now - did you just pick a pediatrician based on other criteria (like wait time, length of experience, etc.) or did you find someone that any sort of specialty in multiples?  I've seen doctors who list breastfeeding, nutrition, infant care, etc. in their specialties, but never multiples.  What was your experience in choosing a doctor, and did the multiples play a factor?

Thank you!

Re: Does your Pediatrician specialize in multiples?

• there is really nothing different about a baby that is a twin once it's out that a pedi would have to specialize in.... sure- sometimes you are deailng with preemie issues (there are many things that can go on for years due to being a preemie) but there is no special "twin" medical conditions --- it's the pregnancy that is different.
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:
    there is really nothing different about a baby that is a twin once it's out that a pedi would have to specialize in.... sure- sometimes you are deailng with preemie issues (there are many things that can go on for years due to being a preemie) but there is no special "twin" medical conditions --- it's the pregnancy that is different.

That's totally what I was thinking - that there wasn't really anything to "specialize" in past pregnancy - glad I have somewhere to ask, even if I already think I know the answer :-)

• Loading the player...
  • I picked my Dr. based on the one that would see us all at the same time.  They schedule us one appt and sometimes only charge us one copay (shhhhhh)

The other place we interviewed made it seem like bringing them both to appts. would be very complicated - or at least that is how I interpreted it at the time.  I also wanted a place that had a quick response time when I called in the middle of the night.  My place does that as well! 

Photobucket
  • The only thing specific to multiples that would be nice to know is if they'd fit them both in for a sick visit even if they didn't have 2 visit slots available- mine always does htat & I can't imagine if they couldn't. Also it can't really hurt for them to have experience w/ multiples just from the viewpoint of understanding the challenges in parenting them & giving you advice... like for example when our pedi was asking about verbalization at the 15 month visit, she was kind of like, eh, well, I always give twins a little longer to speak than singletons, so I know that she gets some of the twin stuff.

We started out at a big family practice & switched by 3 months b/c the call back time was a big issue for us, we never got to talk to a human when we called & always had to leave messages, and the staff were not especially warm & friendly when we went there... the new place doesn't use voice mail (even when you call after hours, you talk to a nurse on the service) and calls back super quick & it is reallllly kid friendly (pediatric practice instead of family).

• nah, but i did ask some local triplet moms for their recommendations. i figured it would at least be good to go somewhere that i knew could handle the logistics of triplets.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Mine has twins herself.  (As does my OB and dentist.  I require it of all my medical professionals!  j/k)

I knew I was going to go with this practice anyway, but I did pick her once I found out she had twins.  She's fantastic. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We go to a large pediatric practice and of the 8 or so doctors there, 3 of them have twins themselves (one actually has 2 sets)! However, we actually ended up liking one of the doctors that didn't have twins the best and have been seeing her for all our well baby appointments.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"