Cincinnati Babies
Options

Reco your favorite buttermilk recipe

I have a lot of buttermilk that I need to use up before it goes bad.  I only needed one cup for my cake last week.  Anyone have any good recipes for buttermilk?
Kristen & Mike 7/2005
Griffin 10/2007
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Reco your favorite buttermilk recipe

• Options
    I would make a ton of pancakes and freeze them for quick breakfasts.
  • Options
    Well, homemade buttermilk ranch dressing of course!!
    And FYI don't buy buttermilk anymore... It's super easy to make yourself. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of buttermilk, use 1 cup of milk and put 1tablespoon plain ole white vinegar in it... Let sit out for 5 min, then use in recipe. Old trick my Mom taught me : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTraycee1242:
    And FYI don't buy buttermilk anymore... It's super easy to make yourself. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of buttermilk, use 1 cup of milk and put 1tablespoon plain ole white vinegar in it... Let sit out for 5 min, then use in recipe. Old trick my Mom taught me : )

Awesome!  Thanks for the tip!

Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Buttermilk Banana Bread

nonstick cooking spray for the pan

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

2 large eggs, beaten

3 large very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork

1 ? cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

? teaspoon salt

1/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cream the oil and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and creamy.  Beat in the eggs.  Add the bananas and mix well.  In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.  Add 1 cup of the flour mixture to the banana mixture, mix well, then add half of the buttermilk and mix well.  Add the remaining flour, and then the buttermilk and mix just until blended.  Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top and bake for 45 minute, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.  Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire cooling rack.

I use this recipe and make banana bread muffins and then freeze them and that way I can just take out 1 frozen muffin in the morning, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and its good to go :-) You could make a whole bunch and freeze them and ditto what Traycee said, when I make this recipe I often don't have buttermilk so I use the milk and vinegar trick and it turns out pretty good. HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Also, I don't find buttermilk to go bad on the date printed on the carton. If you give it a good shake periodically it will stay good for a few weeks past sell by date.

I make buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk biscuits, and buttermilk soaked oven fried chicken with mine. 

image Ready to rumble.
  • Options
    Buttermilk fried chicken is the BEST! Cut chicken breasts into tenders, let soak in buttermilk for about 10-20 minutes, then dredge in a flour mixture of flour, Lawry's seasoning salt, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper. It's a basic PW recipe, and she recommends even stirring a little buttermilk into the flour mixture to make it lumpier (which results in crunchier chicken). Fry on the stove in about an inch of vegetable oil. It can't be beat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My buttermilk tag on my blog.  I do use the lemon/vinegar in milk trick in a pinch but I find it's not quite the same as real buttermilk.  I heard you can buy powdered buttermilk but have not looked for it nor tried it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"