October 2011 Moms

so maybe this is stupid...

but how do you know which hospital you will deliver at?  Does insurance dictate this?  We have our doctor and I was told she delivers at all the local hospitals.  We live in the city so there are several to choose from (maybe 6ish).  I guess I hadn't really thought about it until I saw posts about touring the hospital.  Sorry, if this is something I should know!  Or maybe my dr. will tell me at my next visit!
Jackson Allen ? 10.1.11 ?
{Raising Jack}
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: so maybe this is stupid...

• my drs only deliver at 1 local hospital. so, that was easy to figure out.

I would ask your docs where they suggest and if they leave it up to you, tour them all and choose what you like. talk to your local girls and see what they suggest too.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That would be great if you got to choose which hospital to deliver at.  My doc's office only delivers out of two hospitals, so we didn't get much choice.  One nice thing about only having the two is that there's usually a doctor from their office at each of the hospitals everyday, so there's a good chance someone will already be there when we end up going in.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's based on where your OB has rights to deliver. Some can deliver at multiple hospitals, and some choose to only deliver at one. It's their choice.
  • Yeah, I am thinking that I get to choose which hospital.  They are two great birthing centers here, so I guess I'll have to tour them both.  Do insurances usually have a preference or does it not matter?
    {Raising Jack}
  • imageStephRuns:
    It's based on where your OB has rights to deliver. Some can deliver at multiple hospitals, and some choose to only deliver at one. It's their choice.

aaah!  thanks!

{Raising Jack}
  • you may have in network and out of network hospitals. call and ask.

because I work for a health system, i have great coverage at one of their hospitals, and not so great coverage at any other hospital. Luckily, the perinats deliver at one of our system hospitals ;)

Anniversary
  • imagec_washington:

you may have in network and out of network hospitals. call and ask.

because I work for a health system, i have great coverage at one of their hospitals, and not so great coverage at any other hospital. Luckily, the perinats deliver at one of our system hospitals ;)

thanks! I did some googling, and actually only one of the hospitals has a NICU so if I can go with that one, I probably will.  Just to be on the safe side.  Are you ladies touring soon?  I called and the secretary said I could come in anytime to check it out.  I just didn't know if they are going to look at me funny when I come with no bump. ;)  

{Raising Jack}
  • When I first moved to this area I researched all the hospitals. Then I picked my Ob/gyn based on who had privileges at that hospital. I work with a lot of medical professionals so I know the importance of having a relationship with your physicians. I love the fact that I've known my ob for years and get to deliver in my favorite area hospital.

We won't be touring till much later. I'm too superstitious to do anything first trimester.
  • I chose the hospital in our area with the best childrens and infant care available. Their reputation is great. All private rooms, but the only down side is that the labor room is not the same as the recovery rooms :( I was hoping for a one room experiance, but our insurance only covers shared rooms unless all they have is private. The other hospitals I looked at weren't connected to the childrens hospital and didn't have the OB I am hoping I will like. Her office has 4 other OB/GYNS and the office is connected to the hospital so I liked that.
  • I had a choice of two hospitals where my doctor has privledges, she strongly urged me to choose the one that her office is actually in if I wanted her to come check on me a lot during labor (she will stop by in between patients during office hours), she said that the other hospital is fine too, but she will probably only be there when it is time to push if I wanted to go to that one.
    m/c 4/4/11 @11w6d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I are leaning toward one hospital over the other (we have two here in town) and I chose an OB based on who had privileges to deliver at that hospital. My doctor can deliver at both.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"