North Carolina Babies

Medicine - Help!

I took J to the pedi today b/c I thought his allergies were lasting a bit too long and not responding to the normal meds, plus he started with a cough. Turns out all that allergy drainage has now turned into fluid in his ears, sinus infection, swollen glands, and the beginning of bronchitis - lovely!

So anyway, now we're home with lots of meds for him. Normally he's a great med taker and actually asks for his "special medicine". However we gave him his antibiotic tonight (only the 2nd time he's ever been on one and the other was when he was a baby) and he freaked out. Spit it out completely and kept telling us "I no like it! It tastes yucky!". We're supposed to do that 2x/day for 10 days...help!

Is this something I can get flavored? Any tips? It doesn't smell that bad, so I don't know if he doesn't like the tastes or the thickness of it (it's very chalky). 

Re: Medicine - Help!

• They should be able to flavor any medicine for you. Can you give him a bite of ice-cream to chase it with? When Chloe was on some NASTY med for strep the last time she had it, the flavoring didn't help the gross taste. It was bad. We had her take it and then gave her something sweet to chase it with to help. It didn't help that she was 6 and could be reasoned with either. She would pitch a total fit like a 2 year old and we had to practically pour it down her throat. The cookie or spoon of ice-cream did help though.

Good luck! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageLalabee0425:

Can you give him a bite of ice-cream to chase it with? 

We tried something similar tonight with a strawberry and a mini reeses cup, but he could have cared less. We literally held him down on the couch (thank God for leather furniture) in a last attempt and it still was completely spit out. So we accomplished nothing & I felt like a terrible parent. :(

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry he is sick! Maddie is on Augmentin right now and I had it grape flavored b/c it smelled TERRIBLE. It still smelled pretty bad after the flavor was added, but she takes it ok. I found that it is easiest for me to put it in a syringe, have her open her mouth, and squirt it into her cheek area. It takes about 3 squirts for 3/4t.

Drinking it out of the little tiny medicine cup was harder for her, I think she got more on her tastebuds that way! When she really doesn't want to take it (she's been on it a week now), I offer a mini marshmallow if she takes it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejenhum:

I'm sorry he is sick! Maddie is on Augmentin right now and I had it grape flavored b/c it smelled TERRIBLE. It still smelled pretty bad after the flavor was added, but she takes it ok. I found that it is easiest for me to put it in a syringe, have her open her mouth, and squirt it into her cheek area. It takes about 3 squirts for 3/4t.

Drinking it out of the little tiny medicine cup was harder for her, I think she got more on her tastebuds that way! When she really doesn't want to take it (she's been on it a week now), I offer a mini marshmallow if she takes it.

I was going to suggest the syringe route (this is what we do for kids in the ER). Works well to do little bits in the back of their mouth/throat. They're kind of forced to swallow it-harder to spit out when you get it in that far. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't remember the name of it, but there was one kind of AB that Eli just would not take (even flavored), and it was white and chalky.  Even when I could get it down his throat, he would immediately throw it up.  So I called the pedi and they gave us a rx for something else.  And they marked it in his chart to not prescribe that one anymore.  I can't remember the name of it though. 

But I think they can flavor pretty much anything, so I would try that.  And also the syringe, Eli loved doing it himself.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know Target pharmacy will flavor anything.  I would also try the syringe route if you haven't already done it that way.  Natalie takes meds much better when I shoot it into her mouth with the syringe.  Less chance for her to spit it out.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! We did the syringe originally and I had it flavored today, but it was still a bust. Mikey I think this must be the same medicine, so I just put in a call to the pedi.  

imagemrsmikey:

I can't remember the name of it, but there was one kind of AB that Eli just would not take (even flavored), and it was white and chalky.  Even when I could get it down his throat, he would immediately throw it up.  So I called the pedi and they gave us a rx for something else.  And they marked it in his chart to not prescribe that one anymore.  

• imageBackthePack:

Thanks for all the suggestions! We did the syringe originally and I had it flavored today, but it was still a bust. Mikey I think this must be the same medicine, so I just put in a call to the pedi.  

imagemrsmikey:

I can't remember the name of it, but there was one kind of AB that Eli just would not take (even flavored), and it was white and chalky.  Even when I could get it down his throat, he would immediately throw it up.  So I called the pedi and they gave us a rx for something else.  And they marked it in his chart to not prescribe that one anymore.  

Probably is.  Apparently it's a really good AB and that's why they prescribe it, but if they won't take it, it does no good!  Hopefully they'll get you something else asap.  It was just that one he wouldn't take, I want to say it started with a C but it's been so long I can't remember.  Just not worth the fight!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"