Babies: 0 - 3 Months

C Section Mommys-Possible TMI

I am having my Csection next Wednesday, I have been told by other Moms that constipation afterwards is awful. I have never been very "regular?, should I start. Colace or something a couple of days before or just take it afterward.

Re: C Section Mommys-Possible TMI

• They started giving me stool softeners in the hospital and it was a few days after I went home that things started moving. It probably wouldn't hurt to start now; I didn't b/c I my c/s wasn't planned. 
  • Well.. put it this way... I have always been VERY regular.. and I didnt poop for 6 days PP! And when i did go.. it was a very long, painful process....

After my C section, they gave me a Colace pill with my pain pills every morning, but that did nothing for me....

It wasnt until I was home, and tired of NOT pooping.. that i took 3 Colaces, and STILL had a rough time going.....

I would start them now.. At least, thats what I plan on doing my 2nd time around....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't have any issues with constipation after my c-section.  Of course the dr put me on a gross low salt/soft food diet afterwards and they were giving me stool softeners right away.  Both of these may have prevented the constipation.

Since you say you aren't regular anyway, it might be a good idea to be prepared to take something for the constipation, or let your doctor know so they can give you something.  The hospital will give you any stool softeners you'll need to take.

• I didn't have problems with constipation but I also asked for a stool softener right away. Also, when you are in the hospital and getting your meals make sure you are ordering the correct stuff to help keep you fluid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not very regular. With DD, I didn't go after my c-section until day 7. With DS,I took stool softeners right away and drank milk of magnesia on day 4...then went later that night.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • they gave me a suppository in the hospital and some to take home. even if you aren't constipated it hurts to push
  • I never took stool softeners and never had any trouble whatsoever with constipation.  It never once hurt me to go.  I've heard a lot of others complain of this, but it didn't happen to me in the slightest.
  • I pooped 2 days after, they were giving me stool softeners there.  I had an unscheduled csection.  But even before my csection I was pooping 3 times a day, because I'm a freak.  Sorry for the tmi
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It only took me 2 days to go, they gave me stool softeners, and it wasn't painful at all. Everyone's different, really
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I didn't have problems with my first 2 c-sections but this past time I was a little constipated. But it wasn't that painful for me. I ended up using a suppository 5 days pp and kept taking my colace with tons of water. Everything came out okay:)
  • They gave me stool softeners in the hospital beginning right after surgery and I was able to poo by the 3rd day.  I took them at home for a few days while I was still on pain meds too.  I didnt have any problems but I would definitely stay on top of it!
  • The day after my c/s when they started to let me eat again they gave me a stool softner along with my pain meds. I went about a day later without pain but it was diarrhea for about 24 hours so maybe thats why it didnt hurt for me to go.

However the noises my stomach was making and the amount of gas going on was obsurd. Not sure if it was because I was unable to eat wednesday-friday or what but that was the worst part.

Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took stool softeners in the hospital and afterward and still didn't poo until 6 days PP, when I stopped taking Percocet. I was getting pretty umcomfortable by then!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure starting early will help, but I doubt it would hurt. I found prune juice very effective.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

• I'm very VERY regular [like clockwork!] and I "went" the day after surgery, and was a little constipated even with the colace, but could still go. What hurt more, imo, was the gas. I'd start the gas-x asap!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"