Breastfeeding

How do you pump?

I'm seeing a lot of posts about women who can't seem to pump much milk. And I was wondering how everyone goes about pumping. I have a Medela Swing, and maybe it's not the most powerful pump out there, but I pump 3 times a day and get a total of about 18-19 oz and this is in addition to on-demand breastfeeding for an 8 month old. I freeze 12 ozs for my stash and 7 ozs I use for a night bottle. When I pump I find I have to massage the milk out. If I just sat there and let the pump do its thing, I probably wouldn't get much out. Does anyone else do this also? Are women who can't pump much milk not doing it this way?

Re: How do you pump?

• I don't have a problem pumping; I sometimes stop and massage, but what I also do is constantly pull off and re-suction at a slightly different angle when the flow stops, and this always gets it going again.  This is why I don't use a hands-free bra, because it doesn't allow me to do that. The few times I used one, I got half the milk I normally would.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I have a Medela PISA but also have to massage the milk out of my breasts in order to get the most out of them.  In the very beginning of a session, I might not have to and I will get about an ounce, but after that if I want to get up to 2-3 ounces I have to massage.  I also pump one breast at a time and switch it up after a couple minutes.  One breast will stop flowing, so I switch to the other until that one stops flowing.  Then I go back to the first and will get more milk out.  Back and forth until they both stop flowing..usually about 15 minutes....This is the only way I'm able to get 3 ounces per session. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"