September 2011 Moms

Ahhhh!! Vent/need advice

Alright, long story short (well, not very short I guess)... I told my employer back in December (before we even knew we were pregnant) that I would be resigning.  I am an accounting manager, and because of the nature of my position, I thought it would be fair to give more than two weeks notice as many of my responsibilities only happen once per month.  That being said, they spent two full months "searching" for my replacement, and the person they found can't start until March 28.

When I talked to them in December, I told them I would stay on in January full time for them to find a replacement, and in February full time to train my replacement, and then transition to part time/as needed beginning in March.  Apparently, our CEO (small company) believed that because it took them two months to find someone as my replacement, I would delay that.  She never approached me about it however, and I never communicated anything other than my original intentions.  Either way, she's irate about it as of this morning when I reminded her of my new schedule, starting next week.

Here's where I'm pissed.  I'm staying on this week yet full time because I want to get February's books closed before I go part time.  So technically, my last day as a full time employee will be this Friday, March 4.  If an employee were to be terminated on March 4, they would be covered under their insurance until March 31, and lose coverage effective April 1.  However, they are trying to tell me that they're cancelling my coverage so that effective March 1 (tomorrow), I have no coverage.  Bullsh!t, right?

I do not have any desire to leave on a bad note, but I don't know how much of a stink to raise about this.  If I were to get fired on Friday, my coverage would go through the end of the month.  But since I'm doing them a favor (but not good enough apparently), they're cancelling it a month early?

If you're still reading, please give me some input.  Sorry this is so long.  I'm heated.  Angry

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ahhhh!! Vent/need advice

• I could be wrong, but no they can't cancel your coverage with out offering you cobra or something similiar. But if you are still employed there until Friday I would think that they have to cover youn until the next month
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is your company more than 50 people? If so they have to abide with federal regulations. If not they are less limited in what they can and can not due, but I would still try to look in to local laws and see if they can do that. I know at my company if you don't work a full time amount you don't qualify for benefits, but even so if you are working until the end of the week full time, I would think you would have the right to benefits at least until Friday.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So my first question is, did they tell you it was ok to go part-time in the first place? I mean, was this plan approved or something you decided on your own?

Second,  part-time people get coverage at your company?

Lilypie - (hfj2)
  • Based on you being employed full time through March 4,  you should be covered under insurance based on what the FT  policies are. I'm not sure of the legalities of it all.  Just based of my experience working in enrollment for an insurance company, loss of benefits would be the day you went FT to PT at the very least.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Stepmom to: Lizzie (4); Justin (10); and Cameron (13)
    Mom to 3 angels: Baby 1 MC 2/13/09 @ 7 wks; Baby 2 CP 11/5/10 @ 5 wks;
    and Brendan - Late Loss 4/27/11 @ 20 wks

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    <a href="http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f355/erinmarie74/?action=view
  • I don't know much about insurance but just wanted to say how crappy of a situation this it. It really sounds to me like they are making it more difficult on you and not doing you any favors even though you are being flexible to help them out. Sorry.
    ~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagepechal1:
    I could be wrong, but no they can't cancel your coverage with out offering you cobra or something similiar. But if you are still employed there until Friday I would think that they have to cover youn until the next month

You are right, they would offer me COBRA.  The difference is, it costs more, and comes out of my pocket, not theirs.

• imageveronicafvr:
    I don't know much about insurance but just wanted to say how crappy of a situation this it. It really sounds to me like they are making it more difficult on you and not doing you any favors even though you are being flexible to help them out. Sorry.

I think this is what has me so frustrated about it.  When I told them in December that I was resigning, I told them I would work full time for two more months (January and February), and then go part-time after that to continue training as needed.  This has never changed.  The HR manager knew that this was still the case, and the CEO had no reason to think any differently.  Though it is most ideal (to them) for me to work full time, they said they would be flexible with the part time schedule because it beats the alternative (me leaving all together).

To clarify to some of the other posters, I do not have an issue with not being offered benefits after I am part time.  Their policy (or maybe it's the law, I'm not sure) is that you have to work at least 32 hours/week to be eligible.  My issue is that if I were to be done completely on March 4, or even if I were to hypothetically get fired on March 4, my benefits would have been canceled then, which would take effect on the new month of coverage, beginning April 1.

• imageBlondeBride123:

Based on you being employed full time through March 4,  you should be covered under insurance based on what the FT  policies are. I'm not sure of the legalities of it all.  Just based of my experience working in enrollment for an insurance company, loss of benefits would be the day you went FT to PT at the very least.

This.  I think they would most likely be in violation of their contract with the insurance company if they cancel you while you are still FT.

TTC #1 for 4 years with every trick in the book. IVF in October 2010= BFN
    Elliott Michael born 9/22/11
    Audrey Pauline 9/13/15
  • I say, fight for it.  Sounds to me that you're awesome, and you can get another job.  That being said, I know that the economy isn't peachy right now, so I'd also say talk to your DH and maybe some family/friends about this to get some advice?  I know I wouldn't want to accept getting screwed over, yet, sometimes it's important to play the political game (as much as I hate to), b/c I know it will be beneficial for me down the road.  I know my answer has probably made you more confused, I'm sorry....I just know that I'd want to fight for my rights (but make sure that I calmy think about all my options before I act, so then I don't regret my actions).

Good luck!!! Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"