1st Trimester

Confused about my ticker and how far along it says I am

My last period started February 3 and we conceived on Valentine's Day. I've had 3 positive pregnancy tests since Saturday even though my period isn't set to start until Thursday (3/3).

My ticker says that I'm 3 weeks pregnant and that my egg is traveling through the fallopian tube. Wouldn't my positive pregnancy tests be indication that the egg is already implanted? I thought I remembered learning that you start producing hCG after implantation occurs.

Married 8/2007 | Ethan born 6/2009 | BFP 2/2011 - natural m/c at 6w4d | BFP 6/2012 - praying for a sticky baby! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Confused about my ticker and how far along it says I am

• The Bump tickers calculate your EDD by the first day of your last period, assuming you ovulated on day 14, which isn't always the case. Most doctors offices do it this way, too.

Just let your doctor know and they might adjust your EDD.

Abraham Arthur 2/21/10 // Asher Kendall 11/11/11

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, it is just a ticker. It isn't like it really knows what is happening in your body.  You must have ovulated earlier than the average woman. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetlynnus:
    Well, it is just a ticker. It isn't like it really knows what is happening in your body.  You must have ovulated earlier than the average woman. 

LOL, I didn't mean to make it seem like I thought my ticker had the final say; I was just confused. Maybe I'll try adjusting it by a few days.

Married 8/2007 | Ethan born 6/2009 | BFP 2/2011 - natural m/c at 6w4d | BFP 6/2012 - praying for a sticky baby! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I asked this same question on the TTGP board a few days ago, and they all reassured me that hCG = implantation. They also reminded me that these tickers are just basic guidelines, and they probably weren't made for those of us who got BFP super early.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Actually, you start producing small amounts of HCG prior to implantation.  One the baby implants, your HCG production increases. 

If you know your ovulation date, you can more accurately calculate how far along you are.  You also don't know that you in fact conceived on Feb. 14, even if you know that is your ovulation date.  You just know that it was around that date as sperm can live for a few days and it takes them a while to make the trip up to the egg.  This is all assuming you did not do IUI or IVF.

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • imageKaren1998:

Actually, you start producing small amounts of HCG prior to implantation.  One the baby implants, your HCG production increases. 

If you know your ovulation date, you can more accurately calculate how far along you are.  You also don't know that you in fact conceived on Feb. 14, even if you know that is your ovulation date.  You just know that it was around that date as sperm can live for a few days and it takes them a while to make the trip up to the egg.  This is all assuming you did not do IUI or IVF.

Can you provide a reference for this (that you produce hCG prior to implantation)? Everything I've read indicates that tests pick up on a certain concentration that only occurs after implantation.

February 14 is not my ovulation day - it's the day we had unprotected sex. I do understand that it may take 2-3 days for fertilization to occur. I'll just wait and see what my doctor says and how the next few weeks progress.

I was simply confused about the tests indicating implantation, but the ticker (and other calculators, descriptions of pregnancy progression, etc.) state that according to my last period I haven't experienced implantation yet. I must have just ovulated early.

• It looks to me like the tickers change once a week to whatever "it" is doing at the beginning of that week. So, at 3 weeks (7 DPO) it would be either implanting or on its way to being implanted. If you know you O'd earlier than CD 14, count back 14 days and use that date as your LMP.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • "Can you provide a reference for this (that you produce hCG prior to implantation)? Everything I've read indicates that tests pick up on a certain concentration that only occurs after implantation."

It was a really cool graphic that showed each stage from ovulation to implantation.  It showed that HCG started to produce while the fertilized egg was still traveling down the fallopian tube and into the uterus, so before normal implantation.  Of course now I can't find it!  

If you want to look at it from an alternate view, look at the definition of chemical pregnancy.  In chemical pregnancies, the mother often tests positive for pregnancy (and thus has sufficient HCG to test positive) and then loses the pregnancy because the baby either did not implant at all or failed to implant fully.  Logically speaking, this cannot exist if HCG was not being produced prior to implantation. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"