Trouble TTC

MFI

DH's SA results came back with only 2% morphology.  His count and motility are good, even above average.  I think he's in shock - I really don't think he believed that any of his tests would come back abnormal.  RE is recommending IVF with ICSI, but we are going to be trying IUI first since we have some insurance coverage for IUI.  Anyone else dealing with MFI?
Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
Too beautiful for this earth
BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12

Re: MFI

• I'm sorry about your diagnosis. MFI sucks. I would absolutely recommend IUI, especially with above average count and motility. That first post-wash number will tell you the most complete story. I hope it works out for you!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Yes we are dealing with MFI (motility). Did your RE recommend a repeat SA?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebrandywine2010:
    Yes we are dealing with MFI (motility). Did your RE recommend a repeat SA?

He hasn't said anything about it yet, but I'll ask him when I go back in for monitoring.  I'm not sure if he will order one after we do the IUI.

Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
  • I agree with both replys.  Definitely should get a 2nd SA 30 days apart.  MH has 2% morph too.  We are going IUI's right now.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • My DH has 2% morph and crazy good numbers in everything else. We are doing iui's first, currently our second cycle. We have not had great post wash numbers (5 mill this morning) but I have heard success stories with fewer than that so were just thinking positive! My DH was in a bit of denial at first but he came to grips with it after a few weeks. He still gets sooo nervous when we go in for iui, he's worried it won't be good enough and I just remind him it only takes one ; )
  • imageCarolee:

imagebrandywine2010:
    Yes we are dealing with MFI (motility). Did your RE recommend a repeat SA?

He hasn't said anything about it yet, but I'll ask him when I go back in for monitoring.  I'm not sure if he will order one after we do the IUI.

DH's second SA was MUCH better than the first. His motility was 10% rapidly progressive on the first and 32% on the second one. I recommend that you ask for a repeat at least 30 days from the date of the original SA. It may not be as bad as you think. They usually go by the best SA results when planning your treatments. 

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.  

• We are dealing with MFI: morph - 1% (pre- and post-wash), motility - 30% (prewash) and 60% (postwash), and count - 12 million (pre-wash) and 25 million (post-wash).  We went right to IVF/ICSI. 

• Hello  :)

First of all- I'm very sorry you are going through this. Like the other girls said- MFI SUCKS!

I can't say much about the morph #'s- our issue is really low count- but what I can tell you is that the best thing we did was to go see a Uro that specializes in MFI. It's possible that there could be something that could help the #'s improve and help you out with IUI before having to go to IVF.

There's a lot of us here dealing with MFI- but if you ever need anything- feel free to PM me. GL to you!!

photo dune-1-1.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We are also newly dx with MFI (low morph: 1% and low motility: 27% but average count). I would like pp said request a second SA just to confirm. Good luck!

Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • Yes MFI sucks.  We are dealing with lowish numbers for all three (19 mil count, 39% mot. and 7% morph ** this is improved after his first SA but then took Fertility blend for Men for three months.  Count and Mot went up, morph went down 2%.) We will be doing IUI cycle starting in about three weeks.  I'm kind of shocked that your RE went straight to talk of IVF without mention of IUI or second SA, or seeing a urologist or any other treament.  Before moving ahead, I would question the doctor on why they didn't mention ANY of this to hear his reasoning behind jumping to IVF.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• We are dealing with MFI (motility good, count low and morph low) but the urologist said that we would be excellent candidates for IUI given the numbers. I agree with the others - your DH should get a second SA and then I'd think you would try IUIs first.
  • Hope you don't mind that I'm responding, but I did just want to say ditto PP about having a 2nd SA done.  Also, YH might want to see a reproductive urologist if that hasn't already been suggested by your RE.  DH's #s were low all three, included 0% morph, and the uro found a varicocele.  He had the surgery to repair it, and the morph went from 0% to 8% in three months.  It was just a slight varicocele, but the repair surgery worked for us. 

Good luck to you!  I hope you're able to find an "easy" fix before you move on to IUI. 

• My DH & I are dealing with MFI.  We have been TTC for 3 years now.  We just recently found out that it is his morph #'s that are affecting us.  His morph at his last SA was 4%.  We have done 2 IUI's, the 1st one the count was 8 mil and morph was 2% and the 2nd one the count was 3 mil and morph was only 1%.  With those numbers we decided not to waste any more time doing IUI as our RE basically said it would be really hard to get pregnant with those numbers.  We are 100% OOP for all of this, we decided why spend thousands of dollars trying IUI with a very small chance of it working when we would probably end up spending around the same amount to do IVF.  So we are doing IVF w/ICSI.  Since you have some insurance coverage it wouldn't hurt trying IUI a couple cycles.  If it doesn't work then you will know and not wonder what if we tried that and it worked.  GL with whatever you decide!
  • We have MFI issues too, and are going straight to IVF/ICSI.

After the first SA, our RE referred him to a urologist. The urologist felt that we could have success with IUI. It seemed that his numbers when the uro ran the test were okay, maybe borderline low, except morphology (3%). But, there is a test that the uro didn't do which the RE does, which was to process it the same way it would be done for an IUI. The RE did that with 2 SAs, and both times we ended up with less than a million sperm post-wash. The chance of success with those numbers is nil so it's right to IVF for us.

Do you know if when they do an SA, your RE office processes the sperm to get the post-wash numbers? If so, that could be driving their recommendations.

That being said, if you have insurance coverage, for IUI... the only harm in trying it is the time involved. Good luck!

My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Me me!!  We are low all 3 with 3 or 4% morph.  We were told our best option to conceive is IVF with ICSI also.  Well that is actually not an option unless someone is willing to give us mulla or do it for free.  SO we are doing medicated IUI's for now.  We are moving on to our 4th IUI this month.  I have heard of people conceiving with even lower numbers than us with IUI so we are willing to try and see if we can be one of those lucky couples.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"