Parenting
Options

Picky eater moms...

I need some help.  

G & E are beyond picky.  The older two, who I thought at the time were picky, are nothing like them.  I am out of ideas.....so offer any advice you have - no matter how crazy it seems.

Basically this is what they like:

muffins/bread/rolls

french toast/pancakes/waffles 

yogurt, pudding, applesauce 

G will eat fruit - pineapple, pears, apples, oranges, strawberries, cantelope 

Basically they will not eat anything off a spoon, warm, pasta-related, veggie, etc.

For snacks, their favorite is pretzel sticks, graham crackers, goldfish. 

I nearly always cook a well-balanced meal with at least 3 options and usually neither will touch it.  They drink about 16-20 oz of  milk/day, then will have water with a splash of apple juice to sip on during the day. 

If I need to go the deceptively delicious route, I will....but I still don't have many options to add purees into.  Neither of them ate purees well, either.....and now that I offer small bites of cooked veggies/potatoes/pasta, nobody touches it. 

So....any suggestions?

(their next well visit is in early April, and I will mention this, but I'd like to have tried EVERYTHING before then.  G has only gained about 12 oz since her 1 yr appt - almost 6 mos - I think she's officially fell off the chart.  E has gained about 1.5 lbs)  

Re: Picky eater moms...

• Options
    Google foodchaining and see if you can slowly, baby step by baby step, add some more related items to their diet.  For example, the like bread, so try a thin layer of fruit spread, then peanut butter, then add a 2nd slice and work them very slowly up to a PB&J.  Also, try some blended apple sauces, with other fruit in them for variety.  Since they like yogurt, you might want to try a smoothy, but I wouldn't recommend starting with something with seeds.  Slowly increase the texture and ingredients in a smoothy until they're eating some extra fruits and veggies in it (spinach is great in a smoothy).
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

Canned pumpkin is an easy thing to add to homemade baked goods and breakfast things like pancakes.  Pureed carrots works too. 

Try different ways to present foods too -- DD loves baked sweet potato fries but won't touch any other kind of sweet potato.  She'll eat steamed chickpeas but won't touch hummus.  And if I cut things up in bite sizes and give her a colorful plastic cocktail fork she's much more likely to eat something (especially if it is served in a flower-shaped silicone cupcake cup).  She also really likes dips.  And prefers to drink soup rather than spoon it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"